How to create clickable link for UNC path without having to reformat it?

Steven Sheldon August 8, 2016

It seems that if you have a UNC path such as:

\\servername\directory1\directory2\

You can make it work by entering a Web Link and entering:

file://///servername/directory1/directory2/

But this is not an acceptable workaround.  I have lots of legacy data in Word documents where the link is expressed normally as \\servername\directory1\directory2\.

I want to copy-paste these UNC links into Confluence pages and have them resolve properly to useable links without me having to type "file:///" in front of the link and then convert every "\" to a "/".

I expect to be able to enter a UNC path into a Confluence document and when I hit enter it automatically resolves to a clickable link, the same way as if I enter a URL path in a Confluence document and press enter.

Is this possible?

If not, how do you file bugs for Confluence?

Thanks,

Steve

2 answers

1 vote
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2016

It's not really a bug as it is worked as it was designed to work ... maybe a feature request, however I doubt that it would be implemented. Most browsers don't even support UNC path natively ... IE is the ONLY one that does. Edge doesn't even support it. So, you would be hard pressed to have them implement a feature that none of the browsers going forward support.

0 votes
Steve Behnke [DiscoverEquip.com]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2016

Current feature request is here – https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-23801

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events