How to create a wishlist

Allen Edwards June 23, 2016

How can one create a wish list that employees in the company can added their ideas too?

@Barb Zivney give a great answer below. Here is how I completed the task

Create a template: Make sure you add a label to the template you will need it later on

https://confluence.atlassian.com/conf54/confluence-user-s-guide/creating-content/working-with-templates/adding-a-template#AddingaTemplate-content

In that template place Page Properties Marco:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/page-properties-macro-724765240.html

Create a Page to have the button "Create Item":

use the marco Create from Template

Create a New page with the Page Properties Report:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/page-properties-report-macro-724765250.html

2 answers

1 vote
Barb Zivney June 23, 2016

We did this by first using a Page Properties macro to create a simple form to enter ideas & suggestions with fields like date created, who added it, summary, details, category, etc. It adds a label to each page generated. Then we have a page with a "create from template" button (Add a new idea) where people can enter their ideas using the template, and below it a Page Properties Report that displays the selected columns of data based on the label.

TomC
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2016

Barb, Nice! An option I may try for the right use case. Thanks for sharing.

Allen Edwards June 23, 2016

Great. The only issue I see is that each new item creates a new page. Is that what you would expect to see?

Barb Zivney June 23, 2016

Yep, that's how it works. There might be some ideas that standalone with just the form information. Others might be larger proposals that include other documentation (so a separate page is helpful to add what's needed). Also, each page/idea can be commented on and voted on (liked), which you can also include as counts on the properties report.

0 votes
TomC
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2016

Allen,

Just a couple of ideas for you -  coming from someone who helped successfully roll Confluence out to our company (i.e. most of the 200 spaces now are owned by non-IT business users) - ~7000 employees - and who has created similar things:

1.) COMMENTS. The super-simplest way - ask them to add their wishes in comments. Pro: Easy to do, they just start typing. Con: if there are many folks involved it may not be optimal to have ideas strung out in long comment threads

2.) TABLE. Create a table with appropriate headers (example: Title of Wish | Detail | Reasons for Doing it | Comments). Pro: More organization for the page and can invite others to comment in specific rows. We used the Confluence emoticons to signal green-yellow-red status in one use case.  Con: If first-time Confluence editors are involved (they may be viewers but never contributed to a page) some light explanation is required to guide how to edit the page. Or, insert a button that links to the edit link, the button can say something like "Click here to Add or Comment on a Wish" (or whatever). Then an info macro can be used to pop the rest of the light instructions including to click Save when they're done.

We've done both. The choice depends upon your need. And granted these are for somewhat light inputs. If you expect thousands of contributions, you need another approach.

Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2016

I agree with Tom and would be my first approaches - nice and simple, easy to understand by all users

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events