How to create a page title using multiple template variables

Dear community members,
I'm facing a technical issue which i can't overcome by myself even though I spent some time on it now.

I created a template for some page type. This template request user to specify/choose three variables (let's call them variable1, variable2 and variable3). Once they are specified the page is created. I would like the name of the page to be "Variable1 - variable2 - variable3".

The closest hint on how to do that i found here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Is-it-possible-de-prefill-a-page-title-based-on-a-template/qaq-p/203821\\
But gives a solution only one variable is used. How to expand it to three variables?

Let say we have a variable in template called "variable2" being a string.
and in user macro we defined a @param pageName:type=string.

How in macro to assign the value of "variable2" to $parampageName in user macro?

Thanks for your support,
Marcin

4 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

I was able to leverage three Variables with the following:

<script>
$( "input[name='variableValues.DateOfIncident']" ).change(function(){
console.log($(this).val());
$("form[name='filltemplateform']").find("input[name='title']").val($(this).val())
})
$( "input[name='variableValues.IRNumber']" ).change(function(){
$("form[name='filltemplateform']").find("input[name='title']").val($("form[name='filltemplateform']").find("input[name='title']").val() + " : " + $(this).val())
})
$( "input[name='variableValues.IRSummary']" ).change(function(){
$("form[name='filltemplateform']").find("input[name='title']").val($("form[name='filltemplateform']").find("input[name='title']").val() + " : " + $(this).val())
})
</script>

Hi Jonathan, thanks a lot for your code snippet, it was really helpful!

Do you happen to have an idea, how to extract the selected value of a template variable that is a list (drop-down list with different values)?

I have been struggeling with this for quite a while now, with no success :(

Thanks!

Adam.

Hi Jonathan, thanks for your code.

You put a colon (":") between the parts. How can I put an underscore ("_") at the beginning of the page title ("_page title"). I don't know the right syntax to put at the top.

Thanks,

Volker

You can use the Create from Template macro to accomplish this.

In the macro you can prefill the page title, as well as choose the template, so I imagine you'll want 3 macros on the page for the 3 title variation.  The macros show up as buttons on the page.

The limitation is that you'll need to go to the page where you embed the macros to create the page, however, you'd probably do this anyway so the page has the correct parent.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/create-from-template-macro-317196995.html

Hello Jesse,

Thanks for your hint, but this is still not a solution. These three templates you propose would give me an option to create three different titles. But these titles would always be the same.

What I want to accomplish is to get page title to be composed out of 3 variables which Confluence user can choose by either specifying some variables or selecting them from drop-down list.

So, in what you proposing the number of page title variations would be limited to 3 (plus some variation related to one of the variable which I'm actually able to pass to a title's name).

In what I need, the combination of three variables (which can be specified by customer) would give unlimited number of title options.

Hope this clarifies what I'm looking for.

Best regards,

Marcin

Actually, it may work.  The page title that you put into the macro prefills the Confluence page.  

For example, I've set up a button to say "iOS Release x.x.x"  Before I save the the page, I change x.x.x to 5.1.0, or whatever the version is.

@Marcin Pazdro were you able to get this to work?

Not yet, unfortunately.

Best regards,

Marcin

Hi Marcin,

Maybe the Page Tree Creator could be a solution for you. You can have as many tags (variables) in the title as you like. The tags will be presented in the form during the creation process of the page. For each tag you can define a drop down list.

You can find the Page Tree Creator on the Marketplace and some live examples are here (no registration needed).

Regards,
Stephan (CEO of EPS Software Engineering AG, the vendor of the Page Tree Creator)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

504 views 7 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you