Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a Calendar with Hierarchy?

Brian Gale March 2, 2021

Hello everyone,

What we are trying to do is to figure out how to create calendars with a hierarchy in Confluence.  Having single-layer hierarchy is easy to do - user A makes a calendar, user B adds user A's calendar as a shared calendar.

We have several scenarios where this would be beneficial.  One scenario is we have individuals with their calendars, their immediate supervisor has added their direct reports with shared calendars, but we would like this to go higher up than just one level.  For example, I make a calendar for my planned vacation.  My boss adds my calendar as a shared calendar as well as everyone in her team and now she has a nice view of her teams vacation schedule.  Her boss wants to view her teams vacation schedule and he has no easy way to do that.  He needs to contact my boss and get the list of calendars to add and this list needs to be maintained as staff changes.  And this becomes an even bigger problem as you go up the manager levels.  If my boss's boss could inherit my boss's calendar and implicitly inherit her teams calendars it would make the process a lot more simple.

An alternate scenario - User A has a personal space with a calendar they maintain for their vacation days.  They work on 3 different projects, so on these projects User A's calendar is shared.  These 3 projects along with 3 other projects are managed by a single project manager and they want to see the vacation time planned for the teams that are working on all projects they manage.

With the current calendars (Team Calendars), we see no way to manage this in an efficient and reliable manner without either sending emails to everyone you THINK will be impacted by a change (which is an error prone process) OR having data duplication (keep the vacation calendars stored at the project level and have a different event per user's vacation day(s)).  Is there an easier way to do it either with Team Calendars OR with any other calendar related addons?

1 answer

0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2021

Hi @Brian Gale

I haven't seen any add on that could do this. You may have to consider other platforms to satisfy requirements.

Regards

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events