Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to count pages in a whole Confluence instance?

Alex Bobrovski July 28, 2011

Hi,

who can help - I'd like to know how many pages are on my Confluence? The total number mustn't include deleted articles (from the recycle bin).

2 answers

4 votes
Adam Laskowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2011

The best way to get an accurate count of the number of pages in the instance (excluding their previous versions) is to run this query against your database:

select count(*) from content where contenttype='PAGE' and prevver is null and content_status='current';

Limiting the contenttype to PAGE removes space and global descriptions, user info, drafts, and blog posts; only returning rows with a null previous version ensures that only the current version of the page is counted; lastly, content that has been deleted will have a status of "deleted," so you only want the rows that are still in the "current" status.

Alex Bobrovski July 28, 2011

If I use the {sql} macro, is it dangerous in terms of security? Is it true that any user can run the macro and get any data?

Penny Wyatt (On Leave to July 2021)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2011

Yes, the {sql} macro opens up your whole database to any user who can edit Confluence content.

3 votes
K_ Yamamoto
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 30, 2016

For Confluence Cloud users, consider using REST API as below because Confluence Cloud doesn't support SQL, Macro, and some Add-ons for stats.

A_USER="admin"
A_PASSWD="__YOUR_PASSWORD_HERE__"
INSTANCE_HOST="__YOUR_SUBDOMAIN_HERE__.atlassian.net"

# Total number of pages
curl -sGLu ${A_USER}:${A_PASSWD} "https://${INSTANCE_HOST}/wiki/rest/api/search" --data-urlencode 'cql=type IN (blogpost, page)' --data-urlencode 'limit=0'

Refer my related answer at For Confluence Cloud, how do I find the total number of pages? for more detail if you needed.

K_ Yamamoto
Atlassian Team
January 25, 2022

As of 2022, use the API token instead of the account password https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/security/api-tokens

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events