How to copy page contents raw markup for temporarily backup?

Thomas Fritz January 31, 2012

Since Confluence 4.0 there is no wiki markup any more. But sometimes it is neccessary to copy the raw contents of a page, for instance the home page of a space, and paste it in a text file so one can simply backup this file and use it at a later time to paste it again into a page. It is possible to copy paste directly from one page to another page. But i want to paste it in a file so i can temporarily backup the file.

Is that possible in any way? What is the preferred way of doing this?

Kind regards

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
David Peterson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2012

Hi there,

Server admins can access the 'Storage Format' of the page, which is the new XHTML-style format for page contents, via the 'View Storage Format' link in the 'Tools' menu. However, there isn't any built-in way to actualy paste the markup back into the page. But there is a plugin called 'Invisible Ink' that will let you do it. It's commercial, but free to small server instances, I believe. The current beta test seems to work ok. I'm not sure if there are any security restrictions on who is allowed to edit pages either - I've only tested it as site admin.

Regards,

David Peterson

Thomas Fritz January 31, 2012

I have just tested it. Works great. But it is really bad that such functionality isn't anymore in Confluence core. Instead a commercial plugin is needed. really bad.

Thanks anyway.

0 votes
Matt
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2012

We are currently working on an 'Advanced Editor' fopr Confluence 4.x that will allow you to edit the source of a page. You can find the spec here.

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2012

Confluence Command Line Interface can be used to getPageSource and storePage (needs --noConvert on V4.x if it is in storage format as the default on store is wiki)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events