How to copy data from excel to confluence in table format

Prabhamani
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 22, 2020

I have a table in excel, but when i copy the data from excel and paste it in confluence page, its taking the data as an image. However, i would like to add the data as a table in confluence. 

I have a big table, and now i dont want to type everything again in confluence as I would like to continue to track it in confluence rather than excel.

Could anyone share how this can be done ?

10 answers

4 votes
T Foster
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 27, 2020

Is there really not a more intuitive way of moving something as basic as a table?

Everyone is well versed in creating documents in Microsoft Office products. The default behaviour should be for a list created in Excel to paste as a table in Confluence. It's completely impractical to create a table of hundreds of lines in order to paste a table from another application.

As with a lot of these online applications, the functionality is shoehorned in making it a bespoke task, rather than supporting the majority application seamlessly.

Is there anyone who doesn't expect a seamless copy and paste operation to just work?

ripudaman.ubs
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 3, 2020

Try Copy pasting the table in Power Point first and then from Power point to confluence page, worked fine for me, I use this way out

Like Dharmendra Rathod likes this
Louis Bégin November 22, 2023

On my side, the problem appeared about two weeks ago. The cells are copied correctly, but there is an additional image pasted in the bottom cell:

image.png

I am using the "new" editor. It worked in the new editor a few weeks ago.

I understand there are workarounds, but it should JUST WORK, without workaround! As @T Foster said.

And I don't see how it could be a browser thing...

But anyway,I am using Chrome 114.0.5735.134

Dharmendra Rathod
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 5, 2024

Thanks @ripudaman.ubs , the trick helped me today ;)

3 votes
Kannan S S
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 14, 2021
  1. From the confluence "Insert table"
  2. Copy the excel table and place the curser at the top left cell of the confluence table and paste
Steven McDowall June 7, 2021

Yes @Kannan S S -- that works well. I think they must've improved the flow since it works basically as expected.

Andrew June 16, 2021

This only half works.  I'm having to copy paste 1 or 2 rows at a time.  No reason it does this.  I've been able to do this with entire spreadsheets in the past.  

Like 시드(이인희) likes this
Jac
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 16, 2023

Just make sure you don't have any merged cells in the source and it should paste ok.

Tracey Bei
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 26, 2024

Worked well.  Thank you for the advice.

2 votes
Andy Tatham
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 25, 2021

**UPDATED RESOLUTION**

To resolve another issue, I just ran the "Restore Settings to their Original Defaults" option on Chrome.  That resolves the problem entirely (no work-around needed).

However, if that doesn't work, the work-around below is still functional:

This is a bug/feature that must have just started- As you stated, copied Excel cells now paste into Confluence as a picture instead of text (I'm using the Chrome browser).  

Here's the work-around I was able to use (instead of PPT): 
1. Copy the table from Excel
2. Paste it into Word
3. Copy it from Word
4. Paste it into Confluence

This helps retain Excel's "text" when pasting into confluence.

1 vote
Katerina Kovriga _Stiltsoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2022

Hi there,

As this question mentions our Table Filter and Charts for Confluence app, we are happy to introduce its new macro – Table Spreadsheet.

The macro allows you to work with fully functional Excel spreadsheets right in Confluence. You’ll be able to use cells’ formulas, filters, conditional formatting, etc., create pivot tables and charts from the page view and edit mode.

The Table Spreadsheet macro is available for Cloud and Server/Data Center.

Juan Fuentes July 11, 2023

This macro does not exist.  I am looking for it and cant see it

Like Thomas Burke likes this
Stiltsoft support
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2023

Hi @Juan Fuentes ,

Do you have the mentioned Table Filter and Charts for Confluence app installed for your instance? Can you see other macros that are provided by this app?

You may check, for example, Table Filter, Pivot Table, Table Transformer macros.

1 vote
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2020

You can also use the Table Filter and Charts for Confluence app: it contains the CSV macro and you will be able to import tables easily from CSV or TSV data sources (URL or attached files).

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2020

Hey @Katerina Kovriga _Stiltsoft_ 

In an effort to maintain transparency in the Community, please be sure to clearly identify this as your company's application and state your affiliation with the company when responding to Community posts. Please have a good read-through of the other Atlassian Community online guidelines for Marketplace vendors and Solution Partners.

Thank you!

Best, Max

Like # people like this
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 9, 2020

Hi @Max Foerster - K15t ,

Thanks for the tip - got my profile name updated.

0 votes
Oki__PolarisOffice_
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2022

@Prabhamani  Why don't you directly attach your excel files to a confluence page instead of copying/pasting data? 

Our app, Polaris spreadsheet allows you to embed an existing excel and CSV files in a confluence page and directly edit it.
It offers full editing capabilities for excel files and provides an advanced view mode that allows you to use filters, scroll, and find. Please check the details.
A month's free trial is available now! 

Atlassian Marketplace 

0 votes
RV
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 13, 2022

It's a Microsoft world :-(

I wanted to make the readers aware that it works perfectly in Open Office Calc.

If you copy from Open Office Calc and paste into an empty Confluence table then the pasted table is perfectly presented!

0 votes
Kenny
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 28, 2020

Legacy editor helped.  not perfect.

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2020

Hi @shetty ,

copy & paste from Excel works fine for me. I do the following:

• create an empty table in Confluence with the number of rows your excel table has
  • Select the data in Excel and copy
  • Put the cursor into the first cell and paste

shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2020

@Thomas Schlegel 

Will try 

Thank You

Patrick Geremia June 4, 2020

did not work

Like # people like this
ripudaman.ubs
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 3, 2020

Try Copy pasting the table in Power Point first and then from Power point to confluence page, worked fine for me, I use this way out

João João
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 11, 2024

Pasting into Power Point first worked for me too

0 votes
shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2020

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events