How to copy and paste entire table in Confluence 4.1

Editor improvements Copy and paste table improvements You can now copy and paste multiple table rows and entire tables. There are also new keyboard shortcuts. You can now use Alt+Up Arrow or Alt+Down Arrow to add a row above or below the current row.

This is listed as a new feature of 4.1 however I am unable to locate the functionality of this. Has it been implemented?

6 answers

1 accepted

I don't think these improvements affect UI changes in the editor from 4.0 to 4.1. Basically, to copy multiple rows, just highlight table rows, select "Copy Table Row" toolbar button, move the cursor to where you want to paste, and then select "Paste Table Row" button. Alt+Up Arrow or Alt+Down are just keyboard shortcuts. For more information on working with tables, please see: http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Working+with+Tables

Thanks @njinji. The quickest for me was similar:

• 1 : Create single cell table
  • 2 : Unformat header (remove header row)
  • 3 : Select all rows in source table
  • 4 : Copy rows (CTRL SHIFT C)
  • 5 : Place cursor in destination table
  • 6 : Paste rows (CTRL SHIFT V)
  • 7 : Delete last empty row in destination table

Perfectly done! This worked exactly as stated.

Another similar technique would be to:

1. Select text from above & below the table you wish to copy
  2. Paste into the destination.
  3. Delete excess text above/below the pasted table in destination.

To me this was simpler, especially since unfortunately the technique mentioned by @Arithzari didn't work for me.

Thank you very much @Patrick Nelson. Your solution worked great!

Thank You. This works well.  Saves time.

Your software is crap. Previously: I can create tables with || for the headers and | for the table elements. Now: well, nothing you've touched with your awful editor works right and I'm searching help for HOW TO PASTE A BLOODY TABLE. I'm also begging the cto to stop sending you people money.

Mmm, well, much as I also dislike some things about the new editor, there's no need to be quite so aggressive. If you ask for help nicely, you might get some constructive help. Yelling and being rude gets you ignored or even shut out.

If you really don't get on with the new editor, then you're already doing the right thing in asking your company to switch to another system. I know you're not alone - a lot of my clients have said "we're not moving to v4" and are either waiting to see if there's an adequate fix forthcoming or initiated migrations away from Confluence because of this.

+1 for Nic's comment.

Guys, 1. create a new table with the same number of columns (just a header and 1 row is fine) 2. highlight all the rows you want from the old table and click the copy table rows icon 3. click into a cell in the new table and press the paste table rows icon so you see instead of copying the entire table you are pasting all the rows -- same thing!

If you are using Table Filter and Charts add-on, you can use a Copy Table button to copy any table to the clipboard in a single click.

Here is a related bug report:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-58589?jql=text%20~%20%22copy%20text%20and%20table%22

Suggested work around is to copy from the finished/published version, open the editor and paste it which did not work for me.

What worked for me was to

* Go to edit mode, mark a mixed section with text and table and copy it

* Go the target section and paste

* Manually delete the remaining empty table (very annoying).

This only works once: After paste I am not able to select the next section to copy.

=>Save the current state. Go again to the edit mode. Now you can do the next copy paste operation.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

2,798 views 26 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you