How to continue a numbered list

Using confluence 4.3.3 - Started a numbered list to add steps in. Inserted a picture and would like to continue with the number list rather than starting at one again. How do you do this?

Thanks

12 answers

1 accepted

Hello Mike,

This sounds like a great place to use the Source Editor Plugin.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.confluence.plugins.editor.confluence-source-editor

This plugin will allow you to edit the raw html on any page in Confluence. You will just remove the end and begin "ol" tags after your image is inserted.

I think I will use this plugin too... Thanks for the tip @Daniel :D

Thanks for the information, will give it a go.

Cheers

mike

I've tried this plugin for a few days. It really looks promising.

I just used this plugn for the very purpose of setting starting number.

The changes to the ol tag <ol start="8"> plugin doesn't stick.

For instance this is how HTML should work.

That's standard HTML.  This question is now 5-years OLD and there's still no solution.

See also: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-1208

Hi again,

I wanted to  post this problem as a BUG in the JIRA site.  Alas that apparently cannot be done.  it is a poor show that a bug tracking company won't accept bugs or even provide a service desk portal.

Anyway I wriggled the issue in JIRA here:

Not as a direct bug, alas.

Perhaps visitors here can up-vote it. :-) (y)

You don't have to use the Source editor.

1. Create a line feed without affecting the numbering with Shift + Enter.
  2. Press ! to open the image browser and select the image.
  3. Press Enter to create a 'normal' line feed.

Thanks Stefan, this works fine.

This works for images, but I cannot get it to work for info or note macros sad

That worked for code macro as well. Thanks

Mike,

Use Shift+Return to create a line in your list that is un-numbered. Do that as often as you like. You can insert graphics in the un-numbered line.

Press return to re-start the numbered list at the right place.

Cheers.

Thanks Mick and Stefan. On a related note, if I want to add dot points to a number then the number goes astray again. Is it possible to do this? Eg number 1, number 2, dot point, dot point, number 3. (or does this require the source plugin?)

It is absurd that Confluence still seems to feature no easy way to "Continue Numbering" like Microsoft Word does. Even when you Import numbered content from a Word doc, Confluence re-starts numbering from 1, rather than retaining number values in the Word doc.

See the response above from Steven Eike, about using [shift]+[enter]. This seems to work perfectly for me. It also has by far the most up-votes but I don't think the OP or a moderator has been back to change it to an accepted answer.

Shift-Enter does not work anywhere near 'perfectly', because its paragraph formatting is tied to the previous paragraph. (In fact they are the same paragraph, but with a line break inserted.) This means that any paragraph formatting will impact everything before and after the line break character.

1. For example
    i create a line break
  2. then i continue numbering
  3. but if i want to add a bullet to the non-numbered line then i get ..
  • For example
    i create a line break

Indeed. It's a shit solution for a problem WE SHOULD NOT HAVE in 2017. This problem was solved DECADES ago.

+1 (for a solution that doesn't require the Source Editor Plugin)—which isn't even an option for Cloud customers.

Hi Mike,

For this to be possible, I think you'll need to revert to Daniel's answer above and use the source editor to insert a bulleted <ul> </ul> list inside a <ol> </ol>

Hi Ryan,

you're absolutely right! Using the Source plug-in is possible and maybe a solution for technical users. But it is neither efficient nor usable for users who don't know how to use XHTML. I'd recommend to you to use a user macro. I wrote it for you:

## Macro title: nestedNumberedLists
## Macro has a body: Y
## Body processing: Rendered
## Output: HTML
##
## Developed by: Stefan Eike
## Date created: 24/04/2013
## Installed by: Stefan Eike

## @noparams

&lt;style type="text/css"&gt;
&lt;!--
li {
  list-style-type: none;
}
ol &gt; li {
  counter-increment: h1c;
  counter-reset: h2c;
}
ol &gt; li:before {
  display: marker;
  content: counter(h1c) ". ";
}
ol &gt; li &gt; ol &gt; li {
  counter-increment: h2c;
  counter-reset: h3c;
}
ol &gt; li &gt; ol &gt; li:before {
  display: marker;
  content: counter(h1c) "." counter(h2c) " ";
}
--&gt;
&lt;/style&gt;

&lt;div&gt;
${body}
&lt;/div&gt;

Looks like this in the editor:

And like that in View mode:

Thanks Stefan, will talk to my administrator to see if I can get the macro added and give it a go.

How can you get this macro added? Do we need to have this as a file with certain extension so that it can be picked up by Add-on setting?

I installed the macro successfully, but not sure how it helps to continue the numbering after a picture is inserted in the middle of the items.

Does Source Editor work with Confluence On Demand? When I do an add-on search for it, it doesn't show up in the results.

The fact this question is being asked and 3 years later is still catching people out says a lot about this product...

How about just being able to cut and paste a graphic.  Using confluence is a pain to upload word documents.  I shouldn't have to reformat my word document and manually figure out a way to import images that work fine in the word document.  It's not like word is a new thing.

Thanks Mick and Stefan. On a related note, if I want to add dot points to a number then the number goes astray again. Is it possible to do this? Eg number 1, number 2, dot point, dot point, number 3. (or does this require the source plugin?)

I would say you can create the lists separately and then use the source editor to move one (bulleted) into the spot you want it in the ordered list.

Thanks Sam, that sounds like another option

I would like this to be more intuitive. Stefan's comment below worked just fine for me but I feel like it's a bit of a kluge.

I would prefer Confluence to obey:

<ol>

<li> </li>

graphic

<li> </li>

grapic

<li> </li>

</ol>

Which, of course, equates to 

graphic

graphic

graphic

or

allow this markup:

<ol start="X">

What do you think Confluence?

It would be fine to get this possability.

If i have a legend under a Picture, e.g. with 13 points of explanation, i want to sort it in two raws, to get a better overview in a paper (not a long list and a disturbtion in the complete overview).

I voted for the feature ( editor e.g. (ol start="XX"))

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

2,821 views 27 11
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you