Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect to the database from a Confluence plugin

Mikel Rodriguez March 30, 2022

I need to connect to the Confluence database from a plugin to query a table directly. If I try to do it either I get an exception because the driver class is not found or I get an exception like this:

Unable to resolve ... [311](R 311.0): missing requirement [311](R 311.0)] osgi.wiring.package; (osgi.wiring.package=com.mchange.v2.c3p0)

What can I do to make my plugin connect to the databse?

2 answers

0 votes
Sooxin February 5, 2024

Just inject component `com.atlassian.activeobjects.spi.DataSourceProvider`, then you can get an app's datasource object from its API

0 votes
Thiago Masutti
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 30, 2022

Hi @Mikel Rodriguez 

You can access the information stored on the database through Java APIs, but you won't be able to write down your own queries.

The following pages might be helpful:

If you have more questions on developing a plugin, the Developer Community might have a better audience to help you with that.

Kind regards,
Thiago Masutti

Mikel Rodriguez March 30, 2022

Why do you say that I won't be able to write my own queries? I think I remember writing Jira plugins which ran SQL queries some years ago, the problem is I don't remember how we managed to do it; also, I know ScriptRunner and I've used it to make queries to the database in some cases, and I know it can do it, why should ScriptRunner be able to make those queries and a plugin developed by me cannot? I think there has to be a way to run SQL queries from a Confluence plugin.

It should be as easy as having the mysql driver as a dependency of the plugin but I'll always get some kind of an OSGi error which I don't know how to deal with...

JanR April 1, 2022

As Thiago suggested: Try asking the developer community.

Mikel Rodriguez April 4, 2022

I've come up with the solution. You've got to import the corresponding database driver as a dependency in the pom.xml but then you'll get an error similar to this:

Unable to resolve ... [311](R 311.0): missing requirement [311](R 311.0)] osgi.wiring.package; (osgi.wiring.package=com.mchange.v2.c3p0)

It's because for some reason when you import the jar of the driver, all of its dependencies become mandatory, so for each dependency you see the error you've got to tell the framework that they're optional. For the MySQL driver I had to do this:

<plugin>
<groupId>com.atlassian.maven.plugins</groupId>
<artifactId>maven-confluence-plugin</artifactId>
<version>${amps.version}</version>
<extensions>true</extensions>
<configuration>
<productVersion>${confluence.version}</productVersion>
<productDataVersion>${confluence.data.version}</productDataVersion>
<enableQuickReload>true</enableQuickReload>
<enableFastdev>false</enableFastdev>

<!-- See here for an explanation of default instructions: -->
<!-- https://developer.atlassian.com/docs/advanced-topics/configuration-of-instructions-in-atlassian-plugins -->
<instructions>
<Atlassian-Plugin-Key>${atlassian.plugin.key}</Atlassian-Plugin-Key>

<!-- Add package to export here -->
<Export-Package>

</Export-Package>

<!-- Add package import here -->
<Import-Package>
<!-- Entries needed for the MySQL driver to work. -->
com.mchange.v2.c3p0;resolution:="optional",
org.hibernate.service.jdbc.connections.spi;resolution:="optional",
org.jboss.resource.adapter.jdbc;resolution:="optional",
org.jboss.resource.adapter.jdbc.vendor;resolution:="optional",