Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to center tables on a page (confluence cloud)

Andrew Nicholls July 11, 2018

I know this has been asked elsewhere, but none of those solutions seem to work for me.

trying to centre a table on a page. 

Have used the align macro, to no avail (align=centre). This does work for nested macros like iframe, but not for a table in the exact same macro window.

have used the centre macro, div macro, nothing seems to centre the table on the page, it remains orientated to the left. 

A separate but equally frustrating issue is getting text to align to centre within a table. I currently have to do this 1 cell at a time... highlighting the whole table and pressing centre only centre's the first and last rows content, the rest remain in their original alignment.

What I have in the EDIT window

1.JPG

What results (same for other macro's like 'centre'):2.JPG

13 answers

4 votes
Andrew Nicholls April 16, 2019

@Mike Buretta 

highlight the line prior to the table, down to the line 1 after the table, and then center. It sometimes requires you to go back and left-orientate any text in those 2 extra lines but does get the tables centered.

Like this:

table.JPG

2 votes

I also see that the ticket you linked to has been open without comment for some 6 years (and relates to vertical, not horizontal or table alignment) - i suggested confluence to the new company I started with having seen its usefulness at my previous role at a different company (what I believe was the server version). I dont particularly want to look at alternatives, given atlassian seem to have cornered this part of the market, but 6 years for what should be a relatively simple fix (or at the very least, without explanation of why its not, given the number of workarounds offered in the comments) seems ridiculous.

1 vote
Angela Greaves October 19, 2022

Hi Moderators, 

sorry to bother you with this, I have reported this only because the comments cover a DIFFERENT TOPIC than the original question. the OQ doesn't get answered here. 

- the comments solve the table CONTENT centering problem

- the question refers to aligning the WHOLE TABLE as one entity to the center of a PAGE. 

Could you please do something , maybe change the title or remove the responses that are irrelevant to the question? Or separate it to two threads?

Because it is quite misleading, even Google can't stop suggesting the thread when you google either the response content or the title. These two should be separated somehow. 

I hope it is possible for you, because confluence does not pick up on this whole-table-alignment issue, because they might think the community has a workaround..

We don't. 

Even if I opened a ticket, it's be closed and this ticket referred as solution, when it is not...

thank you, 

Kayla Delcoure October 19, 2022

I found this thread looking for answers because surely a website this technologically "in-tune" would have table alignments... but I guess not? 

That's wild.

1 vote

Hi Everyone, 

the original problem still has not been picked up as a fault ticket, or have been answered...

How to center tables on a page (confluence cloud)?

currently, it is simply not possible, in addition, the column width override the basic grammatical rules...and break up the words wherever they please (regardless the whole table is 'fixed width' or 'responsive') e,g,  

server em
ulation

also, confirming that the following macros and add-ons still don't solve the original problem, only make things worse regarding column width settings...:

• Align macro
  • Center macro
  • Scroll PDF Export template settings
  • Scroll Table Layout macro

so, please pick it up and fix it. 

1 vote
Carl Soto July 28, 2020

Highlight from below the table (hit return to create an extra space below the table), hold the control & shift keys, and highlight to the top of the table to capture the outside of the table. Then click the center button. 

Mayeso Ramsey Afolayan September 21, 2022

Thanks. Just ran into this issue, and your advice worked perfectly!

This is only applicable to the TABLE CONTENT, and does not answer the original question about How to center tables on a page (confluence cloud)

I'm adding this because responses like this make it seem like the original question has been answered, but it has not been answered at all.  

Also, confirming that the following will not solve the original problem, only make things worse (making column widths uncontrollable, even if fixed width is used):

• Align macro
  • Center macro
  • Scroll PDF Export template settings
  • Scroll Table Layout macro. 
Like # people like this
0 votes
Viktor Nuevo October 9, 2019

I am having the same issue right now. I tried selecting the whole table but the selection never appear like on @R. Fuerst screen capture. Indentation doesn't do the trick either

0 votes
Colin McHugh August 29, 2019

I have the same exact issue. Guess I'll just stick with left alignment for now. Very frustrating.

0 votes
Mirna Lessinger June 24, 2019

I'm experiencing the same issue as well. Has someone been able to find a workaround? 

0 votes
Mike Buretta April 16, 2019

Hi @julien.schmid 

Running into this issue right now as well.  I read through this entire post and despite my attempts to highlight the table and even create a new section and center the table, I can't. I'm experiencing the same behavior as @Andrew Nicholls.  Any updates would be helpful.   

0 votes
julien.schmid December 6, 2018

Hi Rachel,

Any news on when the bug will be fixed?

Many thanks in advance,

Julien

0 votes
R. Fuerst
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 12, 2018

Hi Lukas,

Thanks for providing the details of the behavior you’re seeing. I wasn’t able to replicate this behavior on my Cloud instance which indicates there’s something environmental or on the page itself that is causing the issue.

Our support team will need to investigate this in more detail, so I went ahead and created a ticket on your behalf. You should see an email about it shortly.

In regards to your comment about the bug - I linked this community post and added your input in a private comment on the bug ticket so that our product team can see the impact this is having. This will help them prioritize this as a feature to take on.

Moving forward, let’s take this investigation to the ticket I created to find the cause of your issue with getting a table centered on the page.

Best,

Rachel

Pascal Bouman October 1, 2018

Hi Rachel,

We are running Confluence 6.10.2 and I can't center a table either.

Can you help me?

Kind regards,
Pascal

Micheal Planck December 20, 2023

I can't uncenter a table.

I can't use full-page width because then all of my tables are floating in the middle of the page, even when there is no text out there.

You'd think that applying a simple left/center/alignment to the table itself would be simple, but if you did, you wouldn't work for Atlassian.

0 votes

this is the result from doing as you suggested:

3.JPG

as you can see, the text in the top and bottom rows is now centred, while the rest of the text remains left orientated, and the table itself remains stubbornly left orientated. When I select the cells individually, only those that are centre orientated have the 'align centre' icon highlighted, the others have none of the orientation icons highlighted (if that helps...)

I've also noticed in doing this that it seems impossible to copy paste tables? the only thing that gets copied is text, ie

Dial Settingdialoutput6.50615.52534.54453.56382.5102131.5171210.528037

is a result of copying the above table in the editor window.

0 votes
R. Fuerst
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2018

Hi Lukas,

It sounds like you’ve tried quite a few things. I tested this on my own Confluence Cloud instance, and found that if I highlight the entire table and then click “Align Center” in the text editor bar, the whole table is moved to the center position:

To highlight and move:highlight.png

The end result: centered table.png

Have you tried highlighting the full table and then testing “Align Center”? Please note, you’ll need to ensure every cell is highlighted.

Regarding the centered text inside the cell - it looks like this functionality is currently unavailable:

Per Atlassian’s New Feature Policy, please comment on the ticket with how this affects your team. It will help provide some insight into the feature for our product team.

Hope that information helps,

Rachel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events