Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to bypass Okta authentication for internal and service accounts in Confluence

Balvant Biradar June 22, 2022

Hi All,
I integrated Okta with Jira and Confluence but in Confluence I am not able to skip Okta authentication but in Jira I am able to do so
Confluence server version is 7.4.17

I used below block in both Jira and Confluence config file "okta-config-jira.xml", but in confluence it is not working

<spGroups>
<groupname>allow-password-login</groupname>
</spGroups>
Please let me know for any further details

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 22, 2022

Hi Balvant, 

Apparently the configuration to bypass SAML authentication is different in Confluence, here is the full documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/enable-default-login-page-to-bypass-saml-in-confluence-data-center-957972845.html

The Okta documentation is here: https://help.okta.com/en-us/Content/Topics/Apps/Apps_Using_the_Confluence_On_Premises_SAML_App.htm

The name of the config file for Confluence should be: okta-config-confluence.xml

I hope this helps. 

Cheers,
Dam. 

Balvant Biradar June 23, 2022

Hi Dam,
Thanks for quick reply and appreciate help
For us fallback URL is working for all users and service accounts even without any configuration in Confluence

Our requirement is to allow only internal or service accounts to by pass Okta and remaining all actual users accounts should follow Okta

In Jira we used "allow-password-login" group and added all internal and service accounts it and all these are able to bypass Okta so we need same in Confluence

Dam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2022

Our requirement is to allow only internal or service accounts to by pass Okta and remaining all actual users accounts should follow Okta

Oh ok I see... after digging a bit more into all Atlassian or Okta documentation I can't find anything to help you to do this kind of setup which is a bit weird I have to admit cause it's working for Jira. 

As you pay for your Confluence Server licence I guess, I would suggest to contact Atlassian support cause really I can't find anything in existing docs... 

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Sorry about that, I tried at least... 

Cheers,
Dam. 

Balvant Biradar June 23, 2022

Its ok Dam.
Thanks for trying and appreciate your quick response

Like Dam likes this
Quentin Roberts October 24, 2022

Hello @Balvant Biradar 

I am in the process of setting up Okta with Atlassian Access for our Jira and Confluence tenants (Cloud).

I also have the requirement to allow local or service accounts to bypass the Okta SSO login authentication flow and instead authenticate directly against Atlassian, as we don't have Okta accounts for these service accounts.

Were you able to figure this out afterwards? I see that you were able to set this up so service accounts could login to Jira without Okta, but you were having issues with Confluence.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events