How to avoid bad URLs getting indexed by Google?

With Confluence Server, Google indexes some bad URLs which shouldn't be visibile to users (like https://myconfluencesite/plugins/recently-updated/).

How can I avoid that?
Is the only solution to try and use a robots.txt and disallow /plugins/?

If so, how do you add a robots.txt to a Confluence Server install?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

1 answer

0 vote
Ann Worley Atlassian Team Aug 21, 2017

Hi Matthias,

Please see Prevent Search Engine Indexing Using Robots.txt. I look forward to any follow up questions and to hearing whether it works for your instance.

Thanks,

Ann

Hi Ann,

thanks for your reply and the link. It says that if I can't upload a robots.txt file (which is the case for my setup, unfortunately), then I should use the meta tag. But as I understand it, the meta tag doesn't let me block a URL like https://myconfluencesite/plugins/recently-updated/ from getting indexed, right? Or how would a meta tag look like that does that?

Thanks,

Matthias

Hi Ann, do you have an update for me?
Thanks,

Matthias

Ann Worley Atlassian Team Aug 28, 2017

My understanding is that you can block your entire instance from Google's indexing: Block search indexing with 'noindex'. Here are the examples of what the meta tag would look like, which you would paste in under Confluence Admin>Custom HTML>At the end of the head:

<meta> tag

To prevent most search engine web crawlers from indexing a page on your site, place the following meta tag into the <head> section of your page:

<meta name="robots" content="noindex">

To prevent only Google web crawlers from indexing a page:

<meta name="googlebot" content="noindex">

You should be aware that some search engine web crawlers might interpret the noindex directive differently. As a result, it is possible that your page might still appear in results from other search engines.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

377 views 20 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you