Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to allow for Download of an attached PDF file?

DA-Wiki-meO April 18, 2021

In the New Cloud Editor I can attach a PDF file and it will display as a small thumbnail in the page.

– Is there any way to adjust the size of the displayed thumbnail image?  I used to have several choices for the size of the PDF thumbnail display with the Old Editor.

– When the PDF image is selected, it displays as a Preview within the browser window, but there is no option to download the file to my desktop

– There also seems to be no way to create a direct link to the PDF file for download, like I could always do with the Old Editor.

Am I missing something, or is there simply much less flexibility with the New Editor.

2 answers

1 vote
Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 20, 2021

Thanks for the question. When your colleagues click on the PDF file there is a download icon at the top right. Hope this helps.

DA-Wiki-meO April 21, 2021

Thanks for responding on this, but actually, NO, there isn't any download icon available when this PDF is displayed in Preview.

Here is a screenshot of the top of the PDF in the browser frame:

LEVEL_2_Training_Slides_-_WebEx_Help_Pages_-_DemsAbroad_Wiki.png

You can see that there is no download option at all.

However, our real preference is to be able to provide a Link to the file name to make it a clear and easy one-step "click to download" – like we have always been able to do with the Old Editor.

Here is an example of a page segment created in the Old Editor where we were able to easily create both a Link to the file for Download, and an adjustable size thumbnail of the PDF file that would then Preview in the browser.

Host_Certification_Training_slides_-_WebEx_Help_Pages_-_DemsAbroad_Wiki.png

Further, when viewing the Preview the viewer is provided with the option of directly downloading the file from the top bar.

Host_Certification_Training_slides_-_WebEx_Help_Pages_-_DemsAbroad_Wiki.png

Can it really be possible that the New Editor does not allow you to create a link to an attached file to be able to download the file?

Like Redzuan Rizal likes this
DA-Wiki-meO May 26, 2021

Anyone out there in the Community able to provide some guidance/advice on how to more flexibly deal with PDF attachments in the New Editor?

Like Redzuan Rizal likes this
0 votes
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2021
DA-Wiki-meO April 20, 2021

Hi @Vero Rivas thanks for making the effort to respond to my query, but I am afraid that these links do not provide an answer or solution to the issue.

As we have always been able to do with the Old Editor, I simply want to be able to provide a Link to a PDF file attachment, that will allow the viewer to Download the PDF file.

The links provided here allow for the PDF file to be displayed in the page – but not download the file.

The other suggestion is to embed the full Attachments Macro within the page, but that is unnecessary overkill to list all Attachments to a page, when I only want to provide a simple link for a single file.

It can't be possible that this option is really missing from the New Editor, is it?

Redzuan Rizal June 24, 2021

Hi @DA-Wiki-meO  i am having the same exact problem, and was hoping to find an answer for this, have you managed to get a solution for this?

i just posted the issue yesterday.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-Server-questions/Download-icon-is-not-visible-for-PDF-attachment-in-JIRA/qaq-p/1733171

Merrill Oates DA Admin_Own June 25, 2021

It is very unfortunate – and sad, really – that the New Editor has fewer and less flexible capabilities than the Old Server Instance Editor.

None of these issues have been addressed or resolved from anything that I have seen.

My workaround solution has been to duplicate pages that were created in the Old Editor and then modify them with content so that I can use the Old PDF linking and display features.

Redzuan Rizal June 25, 2021

Hi @Merrill Oates DA Admin_Own if you dont mind, i would like to know how the workaround mentioned was applied? i am  not very familiar when you said Old editor and the PDF linking part.

my email is redzuan.rizal@argentra.com in case you would prefer to communicate there.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events