Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add a link to an document that is located at a file server. Like in Word start with file://

Loes Staphorst May 24, 2018

I want to create a link on a confluence page that opens a Excel doc that is located at a fileshare (external server) . In Word it would look like:

file://servername/folder/folder II/folder III/Folder IV/Excelsheet.xlsx

It worked in the past but now as soon as you copy this link to a page it is unlinked.

2 answers

2 votes
Sloan N_ B_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2018

As Addition to @Rambabu Patina _Appfire_, like said in Cannot link to local files from within Confluence, it is not a issue by Confluence itself rather than by modern web browsers. 

IE11 is the only one to handle file:// hyperlinks somewhat well.

There are browser add-ons for Firefox (Local Filesystem Links) or Chrome (Enable local file links) to enable handling of local file urls again. It is probably the easiest method. 

Best Regards
Niklas

Loes Staphorst May 28, 2018

It was once wrking in IE11 but now it is not. Perhaps a setting changed this. But I think I understand now why it is not working. Thanks @Sloan N_ B_ and Thanks @Rambabu Patina _Appfire_

Sloan N_ B_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2018

You are welcome. :)

Regards
Niklas

0 votes
Rambabu Patina _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2018

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events