How to access setup when localhost is not available

James Golden September 27, 2016

So, I am attempting a setup of Confluence on linux.  Unfortunately it seems the documentation is not only confusing, but conflicting as well.

So I setup the install using the "best practice" instructions on Linux.  However, I do not have a GUI installed on the Ubuntu server.  So I can't access the initial setup page using localhost.

I went and changed the server.xml to change it using the "<Host name="... settings to the server name I wanted.  I made a dns entry.  However, when I attempt to access it at http://servername.domain.com:8090 I just get a time out.

Also, setting up this way doesn't appear to give me any logs either.  How in the world am I supposed to know what is going on?  Is it even running?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2016

There's a simple check for what is running - try, on the server, curl localhost or wget localhost.  That should get you an html file which is what a browser would render if it could connect.  If that does not give you a setup page, it should give you an error message to work with.

Also, you do have logs - confluence-home/log is the place to look.  If there's nothing in there, then the application isn't even starting, and you'll want to look in confluence-install/logs to see why Tomcat can't start it.

James Golden September 27, 2016

Thanks nic for that info.  It helped, a lot!  I am making progress...

I was able to discover that it was not running.  So I logged in as the dedicated user and ran the script manually.  That did get the tomcat server running.  I was able to work through the errors I found in the logs.

Now when I use the wget it shows it is connecting.  So how do I get it to respond on another host name other than localhost?

I changed the server.xml (2 variables there), and when I do a wget from the server using localhost or the new host name it responds.  However do this from another machine and I get a connection timed out.  Any ideas?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2016

Keep it simple on the next step - don't change the settings initially, you know it's on (say) localhost:8080, so , from a remote machine, try <ip address of server>:8080 - what does that do?

James Golden September 28, 2016

Figured it out.  Discovered UFW was installed and blocking port 8090.  Added a new rule and bam!  I would have posted sooner, but I don't have enough upvotes to post for 24 hours.  lol.

Thanks again Nic!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events