Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to access content *after* redirects are implemented

Edited

Hello. We are moving our help center soon, and as such, our URL will be redirected to the new site. I don't currently have access to Atlassian Support so I figured I'd try here. How will I be able to access all of my Confluence help documentation after the redirect? Is there a "backdoor URL" or something I could use? All of the help article URLs start with our domain followed by the article's title, so I'm not sure how to avoid being redirected when I want to access my Confluence data.

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads Atlassian Team Aug 09, 2021

Hi Keith,

If I understand your question correctly, your Confluence instance's URL will be changing so that a page like this:

confluence.old-domain.com/wiki/page

to something like

confluence.new-thing.com/wiki/page

Is that how the rename you've mentioned is laid out?

If so, the typical way to handle this is to have a reverse proxy such as nginx or Apache listening on the previous URL. You can then use a wildcard permanent redirect rule to forward requests to the new, correct URL. A permanent redirect will tell search engines and browsers to use the new address (such as in the browser's autofill address bar) but it won't cause bookmarks or saved links to automatically update. You would need to leave the redirect in place until no new traffic is coming through it.

In nginx, a redirect can be as simple as this in a server block:

server {
server_name confluence.old-domain.com;
rewrite ^/(.*)$ http://confluence.new-domain.com/$1 permanent;
}

This matches any request to the old URL and redirects it to the corresponding path at the new URL.

Hope that helps explain a bit, and let me know if I've misunderstood!

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence Cloud

🏠 Say hello to the new Confluence Home!

Hi Atlassian Community, My name is DJ Chung, and I’m a Product Manager on the Confluence Cloud team. Today, I’m excited to share a new and improved version of Home. The new Home helps you ...

43,180 views 30 134
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you