How to access Confluence using personal access token for organization that requires 2FA

Matthew Kennedy July 27, 2022

Hello,

I am trying to access pages via the `atlassian-python-api` library in Python. I have read through this page on authentication and tried every method, but none of them have worked for me. Each attempt, I get a 401. I have created a personal access token both through my Atlassian account, as well as directly on Confluence. Below is a code snippet - my assumption is that I am getting 401 every time due to the 2FA requirement. What is the right way to fix this so I can get access to my organization's Confluence pages via python?

Additionally, is there a login method that is something similar to opening a browser and having the user login to their Confluence account there, instead of using an API token?

from atlassian import Confluence

email = 'me@org.com'
confluence_api_token = 'confluenceApiToken'
atlassian_api_token = 'atlassianApiToken'

confluence = Confluence(
url=domain,
username=email,
password=confluence_api_token,
cloud=True)

confluence.get_all_spaces(start=0, limit=5, expand=None)

2 answers

0 votes
amaan khan July 28, 2022

Hey, Matthew. I am facing a similar problem. Were you able to come up with a solution for it yet?

Matthew Kennedy July 28, 2022

Hi Amaan, I was able to make my own solution, which unfortunately didn't use a placeholder, but is ultimately a better option. I ended up using selenium to create a web browser, then have the user log in, and once the user was logged in, I saved the cookies to a Netscape HTTP Cookies File format, and using those cookies to authenticate has worked fine.

0 votes
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2022

@Matthew Kennedy welcome to the Atlassian Community.

This seems to be a question about Confluence rather than a question related to the add-on Questions for Confluence. I am moving this to the Confluence collection to get more eyes on this and hopefully an answer for you.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events