How to access Confluence using 2 different URLs ?

Eddy Fras January 9, 2019

I have Jira and Confluence installed in my company, accessible to internal & external users using 2 different URLs.

For Jira, I defined two Tomcat connectors in server.xml with different proxyName settings and everything is fine. Something like this :

<Connector port="8081" ... proxyName="jira.internal.com" .../>
<Connector port="8082" ... proxyName="jira.external.com" .../>

But when I do the same in Confluence, it does not work, I always get an popup error message : 

Your URL doesn't match
Confluence's base URL is set to xxx but you are accessing Confluence from xxx

Is there a way to access Confluence with 2 URLs ?

And if possible how to configure Synchrony to have it working properly ?

2 answers

0 votes
Dimitris Ballas October 21, 2019

Confluence should have one URL, otherwise, as Nic mentioned above, you will start encountering issues.

One of them is the collaborative editing, which requires the access url and the base url to match, otherwise you will not be able to create or edit pages. (as explained here)

Another thing is the application links, which can be set to point to one url, so you may not be able to display Jira issues.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2019

No.  The service runs on one url and expects to be found on that url.

You can serve it up on others, but it will fail for a lot of actions used on the non-base-url and functions like outgoing email and some links will always take the user back to the base-url based one.  Not catastrophic failures with damaged data, you'll just get warnings, missing bits of pages, an inability to edit and search etc.

All your users should use the "external" url (even if you get your networks to route it internally for internal users)

Eddy Fras January 9, 2019

Hi Nic, thanks for your answer.

I partially disagree, everything (except Synchrony and the error in popup) is working using the external URL thanks to the proxyName parameter of the Tomcat connector : I see everything in pages, can edit, search, go back to home page by clicking the Confluence logo, ...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2019

Your mileage will vary, I never said it will fail on everything - it depends on the config of your incorrect url, how you're doing it, if you've got rewrites set up and other stuff.  You can make some of it appear to work ok.

But not all of it.  You are always going to get the error message.  Synchrony will fail.  Some gadgets and macros will fail.  You will be taken to the base url on certain clicks.

It does not work (completely).  Use the base url and forget the other one(s).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events