How to: Migrate Confluence from Linux to Windows with new Version and Database?

Hello,

we have an old Confluence Installation (5.4.3) running on SLES and a MSSQL 2008 Database. Now we want to move the Installation to Windows 2012 R2 with MSSQL 2012 and upgrade Confluence to Version 5.10.3.

Here is how we plan to do it:

described here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/migrating-confluence-between-servers-184150.html

• Install Confluence 5.10.3 on the new Windows 2012 R2 Server
  • Migrate the Database from MSSQL 2008 to 2012 via MSSQL
  • copy database driver
  • Shut down both Confluence Installations
  • copy home directory after deleting the content on the new Installation
  • configure database connectivity

Seem easy, but is it possible to migrate to a new MSSQL Server? Does the Version 5.10.3 has a different Database Scheme?

Is it recommended to first upgrade the old Confluence Installation to the new Version 5.10.3 and migrate after that?

Maybe somebody has done something similar and can give us a hint. smile

Thanks in advance,

Christian Sonius

2 answers

Hello Christian,

I'm glad to see you have all figure it out by yourself to perform this Upgrade.

The steps that you've described are right! Except the part of the Confluence Version.

You must first perform the migration to the new server and after that, you can perform the upgrade.

Keep in mind that this new Confluence version must be the same version of the Confluence installed on the old machine(5.4.3). This way, when you restore your data, both old and new Confluences will have the same version(5.4.3).  The same goes for the Database, install the same version on the new server.

After you restore your site and database, you would have your Confluence Site working and ready to perform the upgrade to the latest version:

Upgrading Confluence

if you have any problems to perform this upgrade, I would like to kindly ask you to create an issue on our Support Portal.

Best Regards,

Lucas Simon
Atlassian

Hi Lucas,

thank you for the fast response and clarification.

I will try and see how it works. If i have any problems, I will ask in the support portal or will send the question to our direct support contact.

Thanks again and best Regards,

Christian

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

370 views 20 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you