Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Link to an anchor?

Trevor Loveland November 27, 2019

I want to do something very simple in my document - place a link to a heading on the same page.

However, every piece of Confluence documentation takes me round in circles.

Typically it it states - Choose Link > Advanced

(where is that?)

Or another document states that I simply place the cursor over the heading to create an anchor. This does not happen.

Are these old pieces of information?

I'm sorry but for a document management program, I find the documentation for Confluence available to be appalling (this is not the first time I've been pulling my hair out trying to work out how to do something).

1 answer

0 votes
Sireesha Dugginapeddi [Appfire]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2019

Hi @Trevor Loveland

Of the two solutions you already mentioned in your question, the first one Link > Advanced looks something like this:

Anchors.jpg

1. Insert your anchors wherever you want in the page.
  2. For the text from where you want to navigate to the anchors, use Insert link option from the toolbar.
  3. In the Insert link window you see various tabs. Select Advanced and use #AnchorName as the text help text in the window suggests and this should do the job for you!

I might be repeating the steps from the help document. But, I hope the image would help you understand better. 

The second solution, place the cursor over the heading to create an anchor - this applies to the new editor experience. Refer to the Jump to headings with anchor links section in this page. You see a GIF added in the section and that is exactly how you link text to anchors in the new editor.

Hope my answer was clear! If not, let me know.

Thanks

Sireesha 

Trevor Loveland December 2, 2019

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I still do not know how to get to this "Link > Advanced" setting

I'm in a document and I select "Link" (or press Ctrl K)

The options it gives me are to paste a link or otherwise a list of recently viewed documents.

There isn't an  "Advanced" option.

How do you get those options when inserting a link?

Sireesha Dugginapeddi [Appfire]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2019

In that case, you should probably contact your administrator to see how is your Insert link configured. 

Let me also look into other reasons why you do not see the Advanced option and get back to you.

Meanwhile, can you try pasting the link in this format - Page_Link#Page_Title-Anchor_Name, to see if it works?

Thanks

Sireesha

Didac Magriñá Clemente January 10, 2020

I have the same issue. I am using Confluence Cloud Standard Version and I cannot see the "Advanced" option either.

I have tried:

"Meanwhile, can you try pasting the link in this format - Page_Link#Page_Title-Anchor_Name, to see if it works?"

When I click the link it stays in the same page without moving to the anchor.

Viktoria Varzinova February 20, 2024

I also don't have the advanced option in the menu. I just did it manually by typing into the link field #AnchorName (it doesn't seem to like spaces).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events