How to I change the restrictions of multiple pages?

mark.dignadice August 7, 2020

I have taken over the administration of a Space from a former employee. I need to change the restrictions of a few hundred pages in the Space. The restrictions are quite varied. Some have just one editor, others are multiple editors, some are only open to viewing. I need to limit the edit access to these pages to just myself and the assigned subject-matter experts. A SME typically only need edit access to a group of pages or sections that have 20-50 topics. How do I change the restrictions of these 20 - 50 topics without opening all of them one at a time?

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2020

Hi @mark.dignadice 

There isn't a method to manage edit restrictions centrally as far as I know.

You can remove restrictions from all pages within a space with Space Admin permissions - but not add to them.

To remove them using this manner:

1. Go to Space Settings > Permissions > Restricted Pages
  2. Click the padlock next to any page / restriction to remove it
  3. If you wish to see a page you can't view, you'd need to remove every "view" restriction from every user - likewise with "edit"
  4. When you click a padlock, it reloads to try and open the page. If you'd like to avoid this to make the process quicker, hold Ctrl (Windows) or Cmd (Mac) when pressing each padlock so they open in a new tab, avoiding the need to leave the page!

See this page for visual instructions.

If you're looking to manage restrictions at scale, you'll need to consider an app - for example, Secure Pages for Confluence 

It might also be possible using scripting apps such as ScriptRunner for Confluence or automation apps like Confluence Command Line Interface 

Ste

mark.dignadice August 13, 2020

Thanks for the response. However, what I am trying to do is to change restrictions (add and remove people) to a number of pages at the same time, not remove restrictions.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2020

Hi @mark.dignadice 

Then you'll need to consider an app from the Marketplace - that isn't a native function to Confluence.

There's a few options above that I mentioned as possibilities, or you can search for one which best suits your use-case :)

Ste

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events