Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much support do you get for Database issues?

Tyler Kearns December 3, 2019

I am asking this question generally and hypothetically speaking, as I am getting ready to begin building a new on-prem Confluence platform.  I have not yet decided what database I will use (SQL, postgress, mysql, etc).  I am no where near an expert in any of these database flavors, so I will not be manipulating this database in any way or straying from the general requirements and configurations outlined in the installation guides.  I am aware that doing so would void any support obligation.

I do know, however, that if a random issue popped up in MS SQL, I could give Microsoft a call and request support.  Though, with an open source database, this wouldn't be part of the playbook. 

So with all this said, how much support could I expect to receive from Atlassian if I was faced with a database issue on the server.  If I used PostgreSQL for the database, could I rely on Atlassian to help me troubleshoot issues with the database, or would that fall outside of their support?

3 answers

1 vote
Pedro Felgueiras
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2019

From my experience, MS SQL for confluence is your worst option. If you search a bit you will see many people complaining. 

If you have basic understanding of system administration and don't mess it to much you shouldn't have any major problems. 

The main challenge that you will have to handle is the upgrade the database version when you want to upgrade the confluence. And you have plenty of documentation for that. 

If the problem was caused by the confluence I pretty confident that atlassian will help you. 

You should have an strict backup plan, and only do major changes with a "safe net". 

Beside all of that, you can have commercial support for postgresql.

Thomas Bowskill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2019

@Pedro Felgueiras this is a really interesting comment you have made, as I am currently looking to migrate from MYSQL to MS SQL, as we have more in-house experience with MS SQL (& we are working with an Atlassian partner who will do the migration work for us).

Would you recommend we think a bit harder about what other options exist -- I, like @Tyler Kearns can't profess to be an expert on the suitability of database flavours and their performance with Atlassian.

@Tyler Kearns one thing that I have become a cropper on, though, is the database pool sizes -- as the application scales and plugins grow, this property needs attention, or it causes you pain

Tyler Kearns December 4, 2019

@Thomas BowskillI'll definitely keep your last note there in mind, moving forward.  I ultimately decided to proceed with PostgreDQL for our implementation but just realized that the latest supported version of PostgreSQL is 9.6 which is only supported on Windows Server 2012 R2.  This is concerning to say the least, considering that server os is EOL in 2021.

I'm leaning towards MS SQL now just to be able to run on either Server 2016 or 2019.

@Pedro FelgueirasIn your experience, what would you consider the bet option?

I've heard from several that PostgreSQL is the best option and that Confluence was even built on PostgreSQL.  But, the fact that Confluence doesn't support builds later than 9.6 (especially since version 12 is getting ready to be released) concerns me.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 4, 2019

@Tyler Kearns According to Microsoft's lifecycle page Server 2012 has extended support till October 2023

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?alpha=windows%20server%202012

0 votes

I appreciate everyone's feedback.  Your answers confirm what I already assumed to be true but was looking for confirmation.

0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 3, 2019

You would certainly get support for your Confluence database. As far as support for the PostgreSQL platform or OS that could possibly be outside the scope of support.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events