Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many user macros have you got in Confluence?

mybucket2018 June 7, 2016

I was just wondering how many user macros everyone has on their system?

We currently have 28 and I'm not sure if this is too much or not. I want to understand if this impacts your system performance and if you experience any bug related issues.

Also, is it possible to categorise user macro?

Cheers smile

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2016

I help out with a lot of systems, and there's a pattern - a lot have zero or a tiny handful (less than 5).  Then there's a bit of a gap - very few systems have between 6 and 20, but a good number have a lot more than 20.  I think the largest I've seen was 200, but part of my job there was "housekeeping", and I was able to more than halve it (the author didn't use parameters and a lot of the macros were easy to merge).  Amongst the systems that I see that use them, I'd say the peak is about 40.

When they're working, it doesn't seem to affect performance, but you do get the odd one that loops or crashes or causes problems.  They are a pain to find, but once you get to "this page is slow/fails", you can usually find them quickly and yell at the author wink

Categorisation would be nice.  I tend to document my macros in Confluence pages, so I can label them or add page properties, but for systems with bigger numbers, it would be really helpful to have that on the macro lists.  I'm not aware of an add-on that does that, sadly.

0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2016

You can categorize user macros. Honestly, I think user macros are one of Confluence's most powerful, underused, and on Atlassian's part underdeveloped features. I wish Atlassian would put a bit more work into the feature. As for performance it's all a matte of how it is coded. A regular addon can bring your system to it's knees. User Macros are no different in that regard. Simply having lots of them will not affect the system.

image2016-6-7 15:52:50.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events