How many pages in a space?

I just want to know how many pages are in a Confluence space without having to manually count or run a SQL query. I know the usage tracker plugin used to do it, and it was disabled by default because it impacted performance, but I cant find it even to run for a bit and then re-disable. Any other ideas>? I dont need anything fancy, just a page count.

Thanks,

Emily

8 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Accepted answer

If you have the Reporting plugin, you could use this markup:

{report-info:space > all pages > size}

OR you could create a user macro.....

Name: pagecount

No Macro Body

Output generates wiki markup (or HTML doesn't really matter)

Template:

## get page manager...

#set($containerManagerClass=$content.class.forName('com.atlassian.spring.container.ContainerManager'))

#set($getInstanceMethod=$containerManagerClass.getDeclaredMethod('getInstance',null))

#set($containerManager=$getInstanceMethod.invoke(null,null))

#set($containerContext=$containerManager.containerContext)

#set($pageManager=$containerContext.getComponent('pageManager'))

#set($pageCount=$pageManager.getPages($space,true).size())

Page Count: *$pageCount*

The fix described by Matthew above works for me, but only in the current space. If I do {pagecount} I get the number of pages in the current space.

Is there any syntax that would allow me to count the pages in a different space?

Hi Jim,

I added another line to the user macro Count Pages in a Space. Check the green tip box.

Hi Jeremy, thanks but that doesn't seem to work for me. I should probabaly have mentioned that I'm on version 3.1.

Hi Jim, Jeremy's version is a much cleaner solution but it only works for 3.5+. I'm still working with 3.2 in our production instance and the updated example below should (hopefully) work for you (although I haven't got 3.1 to test it on)

Thanks Matthew, there are plans to upgrade from 3.1 straight to 3.5. I'm hoping a lot of our problems go away then.

I used the pagecount macro, which you kind of create yourself. (I'm on version 3.5) Worked a treat. Thanks, Matthew!

SQL-- Show number of CURRENT PAGES (as opposed to historical versions of pages) in every space:

SELECT
    spacename,
    COUNT(*)
FROM
    spaces s
JOIN
    content c
ON
    s.spaceid = c.spaceid
WHERE
    c.contenttype='PAGE'
AND prevver IS NULL
GROUP BY
    spacename
ORDER BY
    spacename;

Modification of original user macro which takes the Space Code as the body of the macro

e.g. {pagecount}CONFTEST{pagecount}

## get page manager...

#set($containerManagerClass=$content.class.forName('com.atlassian.spring.container.ContainerManager'))

#set($getInstanceMethod=$containerManagerClass.getDeclaredMethod('getInstance',null))

#set($containerManager=$getInstanceMethod.invoke(null,null))

#set($containerContext=$containerManager.containerContext)

#set($pageManager=$containerContext.getComponent('pageManager'))

#set($spaceManager=$containerContext.getComponent('spaceManager'))

#set($targetSpace=$spaceManager.getSpace($body))

#set($pageCount=$pageManager.getPages($targetSpace,true).size())

#set($spaceName=$targetSpace.getName())

Space Name: *$spaceName*

Page Count: *$pageCount*

Can this be modified to get a count of child pages of a certain parent page?

1 vote

For Confluence Cloud users, consider using REST API because Confluence Cloud doen't support SQL, Macro, or some Add-ons for stats.

A_USER="admin"
A_PASSWD="__YOUR_PASSWORD_HERE__"
INSTANCE_HOST="__YOUR_SUBDOMAIN_HERE__.atlassian.net"

# Total number of pages
curl -sGLu ${A_USER}:${A_PASSWD} "https://${INSTANCE_HOST}/wiki/rest/api/search" --data-urlencode 'cql=type IN (blogpost, page)' --data-urlencode 'limit=0' | jq '.totalSize'

Refer my related answer at For Confluence Cloud, how do I find the total number of pages? for more detail if you needed.

One brute force method that I have used is to:

1. create a page in another space
  2. On that page place the Children Display macro
  3. Edit the macro and Show Descendents as well as fill in the Parent Page with the root of the page tree you wish to count (Space Home)
  4. Export this page to Word
  5. Use the Word native Statistics to get a count of the number of lines
  6. The number of pages will be 1 less than the number of lines since there is a line for the page name

Here's a user macro that does it, accepting a single parameter representing the SpaceKey of the space on which to report:

## pagecount - no body, unprocessed, generates WM
#if ($paramspace)
#set ($space=${paramspace})
#else
#set ($space="WikiHelp")
#end

{report-table}
{space-reporter:space=$space}
{text-sort:space:name|mode=natural|order=ascending}
{space-reporter}
{report-column:title=Space}{report-info:space:name|link=true}{report-column}
{report-column:title=Pages}{report-info:space:all pages > collection:size}{report-column}
{report-table}

0 votes

I figured I could write a quick user macro for this, so I went to go look at the available community User Macros, and there's one already. See Count Pages in a Space.

And, yes, I was indeed to my surprise to see that I was the author! Can't remember that at all... So, let me know if that doesn't work on your version and needs an update.

Hi Jeremy, I don't think that one works any more, not since they lost the .getPages() from the space object (3.1 cleanup?)

my attempt gets hold of the pageManager object to call it's getPages() method.

You're right, sorry about that! I figured out what needs to happen in 3.5 and posted again. You need to use spaceManager:

$spaceManager.findPageTotal($space)

findPageTotal returns a basically useless number that includes all versions of the pages. The JavaDoc notes "this probably doesn't give the number you are looking for."

Is there any replacement for this in Confluence 5.5? as findPageTotel still appears to reutrn that number which isn't fit for this purpose.

0 votes

I reopened this question. Questions need not be closed just because they're answered :).

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

1,543 views 25 14
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you