How long does Confluence keep XML space exports in temp folder?

Pavel Boev December 1, 2017

Hello,

I am about to migrate one Confluence site to another by exporting all the spaces one by one and importing them on the new site.

I will use Full XML export.

I noticed that the export zip file is created under <confluence-home>/temp folder.

Does anyone know for how long the files are kept in this folder?

I was thinking about exporting several spaces in a row from the UI and then copy all of the exported files from temp directory to the restore directory of the target server with scp.

I am hoping to save some clicks and reduce the waiting time in this way, as I will be doing the migration on Saturday, and let's face it, nobody wants to work on Saturday.

Do you also know if spaces can be exported in parallel?

If I open several browser tabs and initiate export of different spaces from each of them, is it going to work?

1 answer

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 1, 2017

The XML file will stay in the temp folder indefinitely. You may back them up to make sure you have them when you start importing them on the destination instance.

I do not recommend running several space exports at the same time as you are likely to run into out of memory errors.

Please let me know more about what you are seeking to accomplish. Is it a case of needing to consolidate two instances, retaining spaces from each? If so, the space by space imports make sense.

The versions of the two instances are also a consideration. The source Confluence instance must not be a higher version than the destination. Please see: Restoring a Space for details.

If you want to upgrade by importing the spaces into a later version, please see: Restoring a Site

XML export files should not be used to upgrade Confluence. Upgrade Confluence by following Upgrading Confluence.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events