Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is software-project space different from other spaces

sn August 15, 2017

hi all,

users of JIRA 7.3 and Confluence 5.10 server.

i know we can create spaces from JIRA projects. My IT team has various software projects that dont use JIRA. we are Waterfall but moving to Agile. Our goal is to go Agile in the next 3 years. MY question is untill that happens, we will have 2 projects in JIRA( 1 for waterfall and 1 for Agile). we want to have spaces at application-level, for all applications (via Software project link).

1. if i create a blank space now, can i link it to a JIRA project in future? if so,how can i do this ? i see we can add application links from side bar and i tested that we can still use the JIRA related macros. Is there anything that i will be missing if i do it this way Vs creating the software projec space from JIRA ?
  2. Knowing my use case, is there a better way you could suggest?

Thanks !

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2017

You can create the project and reconfigure it later no problem.  You can also change project types later as well if you want (although that will not reconfigure them)

Another approach to think of is to create a project that works for your waterfall process, but still put an Agile style board in place for it and start using it. 

A board can be thought of as a view of a set of issues, not a container.   So, your normal JIRA users can use projects and issues, and their changes will appear on the boards, and board users changes will updates the issues directly.  It's two different ways to work with one set of issues.

sn August 15, 2017

thanks nic. when you say reconfigure. how can i reconfiguure the space created with blank space to "software project" category space.
i like your idea for JIRA and boards but we want to have a new project in JIRA once we move the application to Agile( to go through the reports and track progress when we did agile Vs waterfall)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2017

Confluence and JIRA are different systems. 

Confluence has a wide range of space types, but "software" is not one of them.  JIRA does have "software" projects.

I am a bit stuck on your question, because you seem to be mixing up Jira and Confluence concepts.  Also, there's no such thing as a "blank space", so I don't grasp what you mean by that

sn August 16, 2017

hi nic, 

I'm taking about the "software project" space blueprint and blank space blueprints. 

Capture.JPG

Like matthew Earp likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2017

Blueprints pre-create a set of pages and populate some of them when you use them to create a space.  The "blank space" does nothing, so you just get the space and no pages.

The different blueprints do different things.  Rather than repeat the docs and write a dull essay that misses a lot of stuff and varies by version, I'd suggest you create four spaces, one of each type, and have an interactive look around each!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events