How is it possible to auto number pages in Confluence?

Jim Lopez January 25, 2023

Due to an audit, we have to number our SOPs with a specific type of numbering sequence system.   Is it possible to change the pages from a default of a "bullet" to a numbered (i.e. 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.1.1, 1.1.2......) format?

Thank you

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2023

Do you mean page numbering, or page content numbering (like applying the 1.1.1 format in a table of content, based on the various headings appearing in the page)?

@Bastian Stehmann has answered for page content already, but I would be a bad Adaptavist, being told off by our product manager, if I didn't mention that our Content Formatting Macros can do it too.  There are a couple of others that include it too.

However, the page numbering is what I wanted to explain.  There is no way you can do page numbering because Confluence is not a linear read, it's a tree.  Whilst you could group things by branch, you can't have a meaningful number distinction within each branch.

Imagine a few pages structured as:

• Page 1
  • Page 2
  • Page 3
    • Page 4
    • Page 5
    • Page 6

You could number them by layer, but that comes out as

But on each layer, the numbers are not unique, so they're not a lot of use.  So maybe uniqueness within a layer:

This will not work either - the numbers will change every time someone adds a new page in a layer, and the whole point of page numbers is that they do not change.  And there is a big question about how you select a unique number for the next page in a layer, or what you change when the first sub-page in a new layer is created.

TLDR: page numbering in a tree structure does not work.

(The numbering pages essay is a copy and paste of an answer I had to explain and then write up at my second ACE, so it's 18 years old.  I'm quite proud that it worked then)

0 votes
Jim Lopez January 25, 2023

Without going to an external app, Confluence doesn't have the ability to handle the auto page numbering itself?

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2023

At least I don't know a way to do that.

0 votes
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2023

Hi @Jim Lopez ,

Welcome to the community. 

Maybe an app like this might do what you need

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/16063/numbered-headings?tab=overview&hosting=cloud

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events