How i can give same name for 2 pages under different parents?

Hananya Beck July 25, 2017

I've read the whole history of this topic.

And it is clear that your answer (identical names to pages under different parents is problematic) is a BIG mistake.

You should refer to a page like Windows (for example) refers to a file:
I can create 2 files with the same name (fileX for example) under different folders.
And if I'm searching for the fileX which is both under parentA and under parentB I will get 2 results:
ParentA / fileX
ParentB / fileX

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2017

A file system is a poor analogy (and a worse model) for a documentation or wiki system.

Confluence doesn't allow spaces to contain duplicate names because it's a poor sorting and search system for documents. 

If I search for "critical information" and get the result

• Page name: Critical information

Which one was I looking for?

As you have been offered a million times in the past, the list will look like this (the page name will be full from the root of the Space):

• Page name:  SpaceName / ParentParentA ParentA / Critical information
  • Page name:  SpaceName / ParentParentB ParentB / Critical information
  • Page name:  SpaceName / ParentParentC ParentC / Critical information

OR

• Page name: Critical information
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2017

Yes, but as you are refusing to understand, that does not answer the question.

Which one of those pages do I need? 

I don't know that ParentA is going to usefully tell me that.  I don't even know that someone has got that right. 

So, to reuse the example again (and a real life one which was the entire reason a client chose to dump their system in favour of Confluence), within Space <System>:

• Page name: /GRUM/Critical information
  • Page name: /PLIB/Critical information
  • Page name: /KLOM/Critical information

Which one of those do I need when I'm looking for "Critical information" about <System>?

And of course, the other failure - I want to have a "runbook" for my 450 systems and know I can enter <system>/runbook without having to know how to wade through layers that (again) might be misnamed or inconsistent.

If i need the "critical info" of subject X (GRUM for example)
i will choose the X/Critical information.

It is clear that the names of the parents are meaningful to those reading the document.

If i have  a "runbook" for my 450 systems it is the same principle (i am adding some parents in the path):

• Page name: system1/GRUM/temp1/temp2/runbook
  • Page name: system2/temp3/PLIB/runbook
  • Page name: system3/KLOM/runbook

ALL MUST TO BE SAME AS EACH FILE-EXPLORER OR DOCUMENT\BOOK EDITOR (like: word and more)
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2017

Ah, sorry, you've misread the question I'm asking you.

Each of my 450 systems is documented in a separate space.

Some have sub-systems or dependencies or other things documented within them.

Given your example, slightly reworded

• system1 Page: GRUM/temp1/temp2/runbook
  • system1 Page: /temp3/PLIB/runbook
  • system1 Page: /KLOM/runbook

Which runbook do I need for system1?  I know there's a single runbook for system1.  Which one of those three is it?

I do not really understand what is bothering you.

It is common case in the real world:

If i am searching on Google or Windows (and much nore) after an item (page\section\file) with the name X,
I will get as result all the X with the full path for each X.
By the (meaningfull or not) path I can to know which item to choose.

Why your system needs to work diffrent logic?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2017

ok, I think you're completely missing the point.  Re-read the last comment - you are expecting me to understand those three garbage paths.  In real life, you often don't understand the paths.  In search theory, you should not need to understand the paths either.  What happens when something is in the wrong place or misnamed?  Your search fails. 

Without knowing what GRUM, temp, PLIB or KLOM are, or even might be, please answer the question, which runbook do I need for system1 ?

Without know what is 'system1' and\or 'runbook' i can't choose any runbook even if any page have sepreate name :-)

the path of a page is created by the document (Space) hierarchy so the path is meaningfull to the relevant reader.

If, for example, i search the term 'SPX' in Wikipedia i will recieve some results in different subjects (computers, insulation material, network traffic  and more).
i know which result to choose by relevance to me.

Also the path of the page tell me the relevance of the page.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2017

No, you're injecting knowledge and content and misrepresenting the question.

Please answer the question without patching over the unknowns by making presumptions. 

I know I need the runbook for system1. 

I do not have knowledge of the internals of the system. 

Which runbook do I need from those three?

Like many others, I think it is the author's responsibility to give meaningful names to the files and hierarchy of the document.

If he is not responsible then also from the unique page name will not be clear to the user whether it is what he needs,

and if he is responsible then the hierarchy above the page will tell the user whether it is the right page or not.

I do not have the strength and the time to continue this (philosophical) discussion. I think our request is really needed.

An amazing product like yours must support in same name for 2 pages under different parents.

Thank you very much for your patience although I was left without a result.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2017

Ok, that's fine, we'll have to agree to differ. But you now see that you can't reliably answer the question by using a path scheme, unless you inject extra information that might simply not be available.

Confluence doesn't do it, and probably never will, because it's not as useful as a unique name system.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events