How does pricing for Confluence work?

Franklin Ye September 26, 2020

I see in https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/pricing?tab=cloud that I'd be paying for $5/per User.

However, right now it seems like if I create a space for my company (CarServ), I can already link it to other Users and they're able to see it.

Question 1:Is it just that I'm by default on the free plan and I'm seeing free plan functionality?

Question 2: Does that mean that once more than 10 unique Users view the article, others wouldn't be able to view it?

Just confused over the functionality that would be paid for.

Question 3: Additionally if we were to write up help center articles for our customers - if we set them to general availability, that means that our end customers wouldn't need to be Atlassian Users and wouldn't count towards the $5/person/month fee right?

2 answers

0 votes
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2020

Hi @Franklin Ye 

The License Details page will indicate the number of users currently signed up (your registered user count). It:

-includes only users who have the 'can use' global permissions for the Confluence site.

-does not include anonymous users, who may access your Confluence site if you have allowed anonymous access.

-does not include deactivated users.

You can read more details here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/managing-your-confluence-license-313467774.html#ManagingyourConfluenceLicense-usercountUnderstandingtheusercountforyourlicense

If your confluence space is publicly accessible, then sending its link to a user ton read the content won't impact your user count.

You should also check details on permissions to get more clarity.

0 votes
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2020

Hi @Franklin Ye ,

Welcome to the community. 

Usually you start in the free plan except you choose explicitly the standard plan. 

If you invite the users, then they'll count to the users limit.

But you can also share a Confluence space with the public, then someone doesn't have to be member of your site to be able to see the pages.

So it depends how you set permissions and how you shared it with your users.

You can configure confluence and jira Servicedesk so that the articles are shown in the portal. Then the users don't need to be members of your site and just must be able to use the portal.

Thanks Bastian - so what would happen after ten unique people have visited my space? Would it just say that the cap has been reached?

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 26, 2020

You won't be able to add more users until you switch to the standard plan or deactivate some of the existing users.

What does it mean to “add user”? Does that mean manually giving someone else the ability to edit? Or does sending someone a link to my space automatically cause that person to become a user?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events