How does adding GUEST users affects the license cost on Confluence?

Pablo Torres
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 8, 2023

For example if I have 15 users and add one GUEST user from JIRA as GUEST. For the billing process does it counts as 15 users or 16 users on confluence?

Assuming this guest will be only allowed to read existing articles.

1 answer

1 vote
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2023

Hi, @Pablo Torres - welcome to the Community!

Guests in Confluence are still in beta, so this may change, but as of now you get 5 free guest users for every licensed Confluence user you have. So if you currently pay for 15 licensed Confluence users, you can invite up to 75 guest users. Guests do not count towards your billable license limit.

The catch is that a guest user can only have access to a single space at any given time.

For more info on guests, check out these two links:

Inviting guests

Guest permissions

Robert Hermsen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 21, 2023

Hey @Esther Strom , does a GUEST User affect the license cost of access, if the user is synced via the Active Directory?

Because in the standard it is so that a user only costs an Atlassian Access license if this user also has a Product Access. Now the question is whether this Guest Access is equal to a Product Access.

Best regards

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2023

Hi, Robert. Guest access does not equal a product access license, but I'm not sure what (if any) effect Active Directory has on this.

Alexander Severyns
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 19, 2023

Hi @Esther Strom ,

You mentioned in february that conditions on guest users could still change and apparently this has happened in meanwhile.

quote from confluence support page "Guests are free of charge (up to 5 guests per paid user). Note: Total paid and guest users cannot exceed the current Confluence site user limit."

Does this mean in your example above of an annual user tier of 11-15 confluence users and up to 75 guest users, we would have to increase our user tier to 51-100 to accomodate for the 15 internal users and 75 guest users?

Like # people like this
Modestas Kairys
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 23, 2023

Hi ,

is it possible to get more guest users if 5 guest users per paid user are not enough for us? If yes, how? And how much it will cost?

Thanks!

Jenny Severin September 6, 2023

Hello @Esther Strom

I would also like to know the answer to Alexander Severyns question above about the "Note: Total paid and guest users cannot exceed the current Confluence site user limit."  

What does this notes mean?  If my Tier is set at 500, can my guests+users exceed this amount?  

Thanks,

Jenny

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2023

Not an Atlassian Team Member, but I think the site user limit refers to the site limits listed here:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/pricing

i.e. 

limit of 10 users total for a site on a Free subscription

limit of 50,000 users for a site on a paid subscription

I base that on this article about the feature:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-articles/Collaborate-with-anyone-anywhere-with-Confluence-guests-GA/ba-p/2396148

...where I find this quote:

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 10.42.46 AM.png

Like Andy Heinzer likes this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 20, 2023

Yes, that makes sense. I think what's confusing to a lot of people (including me) is the use of the phrase "site limit" in the Confluence support page, when it's really not only the site's license limit that's involved, but the limits of the plan the site is running on (Premium, Standard, or Free.) For example, my company is on the Premium plan, which allows up to 50,000 users. However, our site license limit is 800 users; that's the tier we pay for plugins at. 

So for my particular site, with 800 users we would be able to have 4,000 guests (number of paid users * 5). This number definitely exceeds our site user limit.

These are not counting against our licenses, per se, just using our site license tier as part of the equation for how many free guests we can add. If our site limit was 11,000 one factor gives us 55,000 guests, but since that exceeds our plan limit we would be cut off at 50,000.

Hope this helps clarify.

Like Eileen McEneaney likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events