How does Confluence handle multiple mentions

Matthias Born July 18, 2017

Hi community!

Can anybody tell me how Confluence behaves if a user is mentioned regularly (twice a week) on the same page? 

We have complains about not being informed via mail or workbox and looking for an explanation. 

The user is mentioned regularly on the same page from same user. 

Everythink else is working fine. No other troubles with mentions. 

Thank you!

Matthias

2 answers

0 votes
Tobias Reibling February 26, 2018

According to the latest Confluence documentation (https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/mentions-251725350.html), notifications for mentions do only work once on each page: 

• Mention notifications - A notification is sent to the people you mention the first time you mention them, but not for subsequent mentions. If you need to catch someone's attention, and you've already mentioned them, try sharing the page with them instead.

Does not make much sense from my point of view, but seems to be this way.

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 18, 2017

The at-mention should send a notice every time. Maybe the recipient's email client is threading the notices so they look like one message, or else directing them to spam?

Please test with another account to see if this is only impacting a certain user or if it is instance-wide. That will help us isolate the issue.

Matthias Born July 19, 2017

Hello Ann, 

your right and we agree: It should.
Well, we think it should.

But it doesn't.

We've tried on a lot of confluence instances:

• Our own prod system (6.1)
  • Our stage system (6.1)
  • My lokal eval installation (6.3.x)
  • Workmades lokal installations (5.9, 6.1, 6.2)
  • Customers system: (5.10)
  • Cloud!!!

There's never a second email or 2nd (updated) information in the workbox.

Regards!

Matthias

mention.PNG

Anna Hummel January 10, 2023

Same problem here! 

Tobias Reibling January 10, 2023

As stated in the documentation, this is the defined behaviour, users mentioned in page are only notified once for the first mention:

• Mention notifications - A notification is sent to a person the first time you mention them in the content of a page, but not for subsequent mentions. If you need to catch someone's attention, and you've already mentioned them on the page, try mentioning them in a comment. A notification is sent every time you mention someone in a page comment or inline comment, not just the first time.
Anna Hummel January 10, 2023

Yes, thank you, I have read this as well. But was irritated by the answer of the Atlassian Team @AnnWorley 

From my point of you this mentioning should work the same as with the comments. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events