How does Confluence create the compilation in the Recommended Updates mail?

Evelin May 13, 2013

Hi,

Some of our users complain that they get notified about pages in spaces they have nothing to do with - they have neither watches or favourites set nor were it pages edited by people in their network. The pages in question had no likes, one had a comment.

I wonder how the Recommended Updates mail is created. If likes, watches, favourites and network are not the case, how else are the entries in Recommended Updates created?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge,

Evelin

5 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
hsuhailah
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2013

Recommended Updates entries show the top content that is relevant to you from spaces that you have permission to view. Confluence chooses the content to display, based on:

• Pages and blog posts that people have recently liked.
  • Pages and blog posts that people have recently commented on.
  • Pages and blog posts that have recently been created.

'Recent' means any activity that occurred since the last recommended updates message was sent to you. Although maybe the pages in question had no likes or comment but it can still appear in Recommended Updates because they are recently created and thats counted as an activity.

The activities are listed in order of popularity, with the most popular at the top. Likes, comments and content creations are scored equally. The recommended updates summary does not include any content that you created yourself, and it gives a lower ranking to content that you have participated in, for example by adding a comment or updating the page.

If there is no activity to report, Confluence will not send the email message.

0 votes
HomeAway
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 23, 2014

Hanis - Can you confirm the algo includes "recently updated" vs "recently created"? Based on the assumption it was created, we modified our CLI-based job to update with a --minor switch (equivalent to "Do Not Notify") and still our Recommended email is clogged with our batched updates. Thanks!

I made a short video to show what I'm talking about:

http://screencast.com/t/tM8Q6ZoJNlu

0 votes
Jim October 24, 2013

Yes, probably in the wrong place. Sorry.

0 votes
Jim October 24, 2013

How can I fake up a recommended in Confluence email? I would like to use this functionality to *push* particular pages. How do I create a mockup of the email form?

Evelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 24, 2013

Hi Jim,

This is a new post, right? It doesn't refer to the original question except it is about update mails.

0 votes
Evelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 3, 2013

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer. Now we know what's going on in Recommended Updates :)

hsuhailah
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 3, 2013

No worries :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events