How do you upgrade Confluence OSX 5.5.x to latest (6.9)

Peter June 17, 2018

Have upgraded other Atlassian products in the past, and the upgrade mechanism detects that a new version is running and performs the db upgrade.

That upgrade process is not started when I startup Confluence and thus it has a database issue - missing tables, etc.

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter June 18, 2018

Yes, did what you asked.  It had a massive timeout trying something, but using the same home, it would have found the 5.5.2 database.

I used same home dir as well ... have not had this kind of problem in past doing upgrades, but just one of those IT mysteries, that could be solved with 400 hours ... in my experiences, I dont need to know why it didn't work, but that now, we got it to work !

Thanks again !

Hopefully my JIRA upgrade will be as smooth - do you know if doing this XML export is an option as well, and taking that approach would also work ?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 19, 2018

Hi Peter,

That would work as well depending on your current Jira version.

Keep in mind the Jira 7 Migration Hub and this Jira Software upgrade matrix.

Regards,

Shannon

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter June 18, 2018

I installed the update code in a separate folder and started it up(startup.sh).  normally i thought it would detect the updated code base (since it was looking at the 5.5.2 database) and perform the update ... it did not.

since then, i thought to try just exporting the full backup as a xml and import it.  when i ran 6.9 as a new install and imported the xml, that worked - probably less error prone than an update.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 18, 2018

Hi Peter,

Thank you for confirming! Actually I was going to suggest the method you took in the end.

As for the original upgrade attempt, can you confirm that you went into the 

<confluence-install>/confluence/WEB-INF/classes/confluence-init.properties folder and pointed it to your existing home directory?

If so, then you could also try looking through your server logs and see if there are any upgrade error messages. That will give you a bit more details on why it failed.

Shannon

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
June 18, 2018

Hi Peter,

You can use this article to upgrade your instance:

If you're having issues, can you tell us exactly the steps you took to upgrade, and what error messages you're seeing? 

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events