You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.
Level 1: Seed
25 / 150 points
1 badge earned
Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!
What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.
Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!
Join now to unlock these features and more
How do you make in a confluence page, a 2 column Table of Contents to save space. I understand we can split pages sections but I can't see a way to have a table of contents spread over to the space next to it which is empty.
For Confluence Cloud 🙁
If the web address of your Confluence instance is something like https://yourcompanyname.atlassian.net, that means you are on Confluence Cloud and as a result you will not be able to do this.
For Confluence Server 🎉
Otherwise you are probably on Confluence Server, in which case, you can create your own user macro to achieve this.
Get an administrator to add the following user macro:
## Macro name: toc-2columns
## Macro title: Table of Contents in 2 Columns
## Macro has a body: No
## Developed by: David Simpson <firstname.lastname@example.org>
## Date created: 2020-03-16
## Installed by: Your Name
<div style="columns: 400px 2;">
<ac:structured-macro ac:name="toc" ac:schema-version="1" />
This user macro simply adds some formatting around the Table of Contents macro to split it into 2 columns.
thank you very much for sharing the instruction. It works fine for me.
Could you please let me know what to add in the macro code for hiding heading 3 and below?
I tried the following taken from the default toc-macro code but it doesn't work ...
Thanks a lot in advance!
I don't have Admin permissions, so the macro option was not viable for me. But, I was able to come up with a solution all the same. Please remember that a Table of Contents (ToC) is nothing more than a collection of links to fixed references on the page via Headers.
Here are the steps I used:
The net effect was to have a split ToC that used the entire width of the page, with no white space. And, as a bonus, the bulk of the table was collapsible except for the Title and Header row (thanks to the Expand macro):
Issues with this Solution:
Tip! You can insert the original Table of Contents inside the Expand macro to hide it.