Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you format images in the new editor?

Gina Palombit April 28, 2020

Let's be honest, there was never a good way to format images in Confluence, but with the new editor it is even worse than it was with the old editor. 

The new editor does not allow you to put images side-by-side anymore (unless you use the gallery macro, which is a waste of effort). The sizing and resizing of images in the new editor is also something that needs attention. If the images had resizing corners we could avoid this heartache and actually have a page that looks nice. I dream of that day. In the old editor, at least you could give it a pixel width, which was better than nothing. Now, the image snaps to the page using some crazy algorithm that doesn't make sense to me.

Is there a way to put several images on a page side-by-side in the new editor? 

Is there a way to ensure that the size of the image will not default to very very small when I click Publish? I found that when the image is centered it is more likely to play nice, but when you left or right align an image, say hello to a tiny image on your page. 

Does anyone have workarounds for these issues? And/or does anyone know if Atlassian is working on this issue?

1 answer

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 30, 2020

Hello, @Gina Palombit ! Hope you were able to check the other thread where I replied:

The first thing that I would like to let you know is that the limitations regarding images in the New Editor (Fabric) are documented. I was able to find some of them:

Now, placing images side by side is possible, but requires the usage of another editing element, the Layouts. I was able to place three images side by side by using the three-column layout. The same can be done with a two-column layout:

Three-column layout

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 16.03.10.png

Two-column layout

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 16.13.32.png

Also, if need be, you can still select the Legacy Editor to be used. You can check more details here:

I hope that this gives you some guidance on how to workaround this situation. Let me hear from you!

Gina Palombit April 30, 2020

That’s helpful but doesn’t fix the formatting issue. The images are not assigned a pixel width anymore and instead they snap to a grid of some kind. And while that might work for some images sometimes, it is a finicky system. For example, I can drop an image in, and it will auto center it and I’ll extend it out as big as I can, and if I publish the page, the image might look like the right size, but then I decide to left align the image. So I do that, then publish, and all of a sudden the image is less than half the size that it was displaying in the editor. So, all of that to say, the method you suggested doesn’t work. 

Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2020

Hello again @Gina Palombit ! Thank you for being transparent and sharing with us. It is important to listen to everyone.

I understand that the workaround suggested here is not ideal nor does it removes the bugs affecting your site.

This leads me to ask you to vote and watch the reports, just like what you did for the one I recently created, aiming at the hex color selector.

Other than that, we can still use the Legacy Editor, where those features are available.

Let me hear from you.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events