How do you excerpt include into link?

I want to excerpt include in link but link edit does not allow excerpts.

By the way if there is another way to reuse information, I would love to know. Excerpts are really cumbersome in my opinion.

Sample:

excerpt : some.url.com

usage: {excerpt include}/somepage   {excerpt include}/somepage2

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here, and I can't work out what you're trying to do with excerpts.

They work like this:

Page-1:
Code: Lorem ipsum {excerpt} dolor sit {excerpt} amet.
Display: Lorem ipsum {excerpt} dolor sit {excerpt} amet.

Page-2:
Code: consectetur adipiscing {excerpt-include:Page-1} elit,
Display: consectetur adipiscing dolor sit elit,

Could you explain a little more what you're aiming for?  I don't think excerpts are the right approach, but I'm not sure of the goal.

I cant build urls as you said. I will just use concatenated text as you mentioned in the comment. Accepting this as answer, this is as good as it gets.

Why not create an anchor in the excerpt and then link to the anchor?

It looks like this then: http://aaa.bbb.ccc/ddd

I want to add that ddd or in another page eee etc. to the link 

Anchor is worse than excerpt in my case. People have to go to another page to view information. What i want is, reuse same information everywhere and when i want to change that i will change it in only 1 place. Excerpt provides this but it can't be in a link. Excerpt can be a link but excerpt-include can't be included in a link.

Ah, now we are getting some where. What you are talking about is one of the basic tenets of a wiki - reusable content with a single source of truth (i.e. it is only in one place, but used in many).

Check out https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/develop-technical-documentation-in-confluence-724765468.html?selectedPageVersions=43&selectedPageVersions=44 

Here they are talking about creating technical documentation,  but the concepts can be applied to any type of content.

What i want is:

Page-1:

Code: {excerpt}aaa.bbb.ccc{excerpt}

Page-2

Code: {excerpt-include:Page-1}/ddd

Display: aaa.bbb.ccc/ddd

By the way thanks for fast reply

You can do the text of that, but it won't quite concatenate the text together, so you can't build urls with it.

I'd write a user macro to deal with it myself.

Sorry for writing another answer, didn't see the comment button.

If you want to define base URLs to use for referencing pages outside your Confluence instance, you may have a look at the Information Systems Add-on for the projectdoc Toolbox.

The Information Systems Add-on uses space properties to define base URLs and allows to use these in macros to link to or transclude from external resources. If you paste in an URL to such a resource the add-on autoconverts it to the macro. So if the base URL changes, you could change it in only one place and the macros will link to the new location automatically.

Since space properties are hierarchical in nature, you may define these URLs as close to the space the URLs are used as you like (and use placeholders to construct them).

Please note while the Information Systems Add-on is available for free on the Atlassian Marketplace, you need to install the commercial projectdoc Toolbox Add-on to get it working. The projectdoc Toolbox provides the infrastructure (such as space properties or multi-transclusions) the add-on relies on.

Also note that I'm one of the authors of these add-ons. smile

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

485 views 19 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you