How do you display current date and time in Confluence using User Macro and how do you add it like a date and time stamp.

I am thinking of creating a user macro. I've been searching and I've seen in the codes quite a lot

$action.dateFormatter.getCalendar()

I've tried to output that and it seems to get the current date and time. Question is how do i display it in a an acceptable format like "MMM DD YYYY HH:mm:ss"

Also, i think this works but more like a clock. - $content.currentDate

Is there a way for me to make it function like a date and time stamp?

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Accepted answer

A simpler approach might just be to use the commenting system.

I like this approach. Update the page, put in a note that says "I put in this macro" in the diff message.

Yes. The commenting may work like a time stamp however this will be displayed in Comment Threads within the page along with the other comments. What we want to do is to place the time stamp in a table which will display the review summary.

I think what Matthew was suggesting is that you users put the message in the "What did you change?" box next to the save button. These message are stored in the page history in a neat little table.

i see. Thanks! We'll do that for now

1. Define user macro (ex. macro name: "current-datetime"):

$action.dateFormatter.formatGivenString("dd-MMM-yyyy hh:mm:ss", $content.currentDate)

2. Add it to some page like: {current-datetime}

{current-datetime}

Would it not be simpler to just create a user macro that prints the last modfication date of the page?

That is by using the metadata correct? It is also ok to print that. But what my user wants is something that does not update everytime the page is updated.

This is so that you can just placed it after reviewed by >Insert User< last >Date Stamp Macro<

and then the next user can add another one.

reviewed by >Insert User< last >Date Stamp Macro<

such that the macros display the last time they review it or updated the document and not just the latest data.

Sadly this solution would mean it updates every time the page is updated.

Yes. It would be like the clock i made earlier. :(

1. Define user macro (ex. macro name: "current-datetime"):

2. Add it to some page like: {current-datetime}

$action.dateFormatter.formatGivenString("dd-MMM-yyyy hh:mm:ss", $content.currentDate)

You can use the dateFormatter's formatGivenString() method to specify a format:

$action.dateFormatter.formatGivenString("dd-MMM-yyyy", $some_date)

There are also other methods you can use. Here's the API docs on it:

https://docs.atlassian.com/atlassian-confluence/latest/com/atlassian/confluence/core/DateFormatter.html

hth,

matt

Actually, I'm already fine with $content.currentDate. It gives a complete Date and Time output. The thing is, everytime I refresh the page, so does its value.

What i need is a Date Stamp. Such that once I add it up, it becomes a static content on the page.

Is it possible with User Macros?

@Armon Tiongco1 did you manage to find an answer to your question ? (What i need is a Date Stamp. Such that once I add it up, it becomes a static content on the page.)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Organizing your space just got easier - Page Tree Drag & Drop is here

Hi Community! I’m Elaine, Confluence Product Manager. You may have read my earlier post about page tree in space navigation sidebar. I'm excited to share another improvement that helps you organize ...

146 views 3 4
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you