How do you disable updates to the main feed for a specific space?

r2deed2 July 24, 2017

In short, when I post a  new page in our private space, I do NOT want it to mention it on the updates feed.  

I have created a private space for a team.  

I wish to disable updates to the main feed for every post within this space( i.e This is a private space and when we post "Private Topic #1", we don't want everyone else from every other team to see it.)  I understand that they won't have access to it, but we don't even want to share the Topic name.  

Seems to be way more complicated than it should be to disable notifications. Also, we are not the Administrators of this confluence instance.  

3 answers

0 votes
r2deed2 July 31, 2017

Again, I think I am not explaining what the issue is correctly.  

We are simple users on Confluence, not Admins.  I created a space for my team, let's call it "Top Secret Space".  I only want 5 people (Team Allowed), out of the 100 users (Team Not allowed) to be able to see this space(or any of the pages contained within this space), which I have sucessfully set up and confirmed.  

Now, I post a page in "Top Secret Space" called "I don't want anyone to see this page."  However, everyone on Team Not Allowed can still see that some one posted "I don't want anyone to see this page" on the main feed/ updates page.  

Is there, or is there not a way, to DISABLE notifications for a single space, so that there are absolutely NO updates to the main feed?  

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 1, 2017
I tested on Confluence 6.3.1 and when a user could not see the page (because of space permissions) they also couldn't see the updates to the top secret page on the dashboard. 

Please double check your space permissions. Here is what the feed looks like to someone who has access to the top secret doc:
Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 4.06.55 PM.png

Here is what it looks like to someone who is not in the space permissions for the top secret doc:

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 4.07.21 PM.png

The only people who would be able to see the update regardless of permissions might be members of the confluence-administrators group. 
"The confluence-administrators group defines a set of "super users" who can access the Administration Console and perform site-wide administration. Members of this group can also see the content of all pages and spaces in the Confluence instance, regardless of space permissions."
0 votes
r2deed2 July 27, 2017

Yes ALL UPDATES.  The main page that alerts after every post or edit.  Yes, I have confirmed that people who are not allowed access on our space can see updates on the All Updates page.  

To spell it out as plain as I can...

We have a private space that no one has access to besides our select team.  I post/edit something in that space, irregardless of team, everyone sees that update on the main feed.  There doesn't seem to be any way to turn this auto notification off.  (i.e When I edit "Top Secret Doc" that I don't want any one but my team to see, it doesn't post to All Updates and say, "Hey, Dan just edited 'Top Secret Doc'"

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 27, 2017

Hi Dan,

Shannon is off shift now but I am happy to help. You can modify the way All Updates works, but as it says in Customizing the Confluence Dashboard: "You'll need some knowledge of Velocity to modify the layout files."

Please consider using another space home page for a landing page. You could create a space just for that purpose, it would give you more control. You can change the landing page from Confluence Admin>Further Configuration as described in Configuring the Site Home Page.

Thanks,

Ann

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
July 31, 2017

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
July 25, 2017

Hello Daniel,

Can you confirm, are you referring to the All Updates section of the dashboard? The updates here that are shown should only be updates that the logged in user has access to see. If you've restricted the space from all other teams, have they confirmed they're still seeing those updates on their dashboard?

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Frank Fischer December 17, 2021

To add here: It seems there is a problem in the browser storage. The problem descibed above is real but under the following conditions:

- Request the all-updates page.

- Log out user A.

- User B does not have access to spaces user A has.

- Call the all-updates page.

- User B sees all the updates of spaces user A has access to.

So the issue is real, it's breaking the confluece securiy mechanism and it should be fixed asap.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events