How do you apply baseline in confluence/jira?

Hopefully I am not the only one struggling with this issue regarding baselines. What I'm trying to achieve is just a versioned document that links to a set of versioned JIRA issues. Doesn't sound to hard to achieve but how do you lock those issues from being edited so that a certain baseline always reflect a certain version of the issues it holds links to?

Detailed description of the problem.

On day one I create this Confluence page that contains requirement specifications using the "Product Requirements Blueprint"-approach described in the Atlassian documentation. This page holds a table pointing out several product requirement documents which in turn contains several links to JIRA issues where the requirements are described in detail.

Obviously on day one they are all in synch with what we want since this version of the document, version 1, contains the specified requirements as of right now. Then at some later point in time someone discover that one or more of the requirements need to be updated, which is rather common, and they would have to update the requirements issues in JIRA. This is where the problem is. If we change those requirements issues then they are not the same as the ones we added at day one which makes the baseline useless.

As far as I know Confluence has only got individual versioning of pages. Unfortunately that doesn't solve this problem since it points to other documents (through the "Page Properties Report-macro") which in turn contains links to the requirements in JIRA.

The real question is:

How can you achieve a proper baseline handling in JIRA/Confluence whereby the top page, containing the Page Properties Report macro, points at a specific version of the requirements documents which in turn hold specific versions of the requirements issues in JIRA?

Hope this problem description makes sense.

8 answers

Hi Kent Granström , @Alexey Rjeutski [Polontech]

As OBSS we developed a solution for " Baseline ". You can create baselines of your documents based on a date and time. The created baseline set allows you to easily access document versions of that time.

Here is the link to download Baseline for Confluence . You can also read the documentation of the product.

Thank you for your interest!

@Tom Gelhausen, nope, not really. We have come up with a slightly modified approach whereby we export  issues on a certain date into a "baseline-PDF" so we know exactly what a certain set of reqs looked like at a certain point in time. That PDF is then attached to the Confluence page shown as a list of baselines.Baselines.png

There is no common solution for such kind of use case. As a workaround I would advice you to use only links to proper version in confluence, and use versioned link when you connect it to jira ticket. That will give you possibility to see baseline, but will require a set of accuracy from you.

First of all, thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately it doesn't solve my problem. I was hoping that someone would have struggled with this and found a genuine solution to the problem.

Please think about plugin development / ordering. We had the similar request, but client cancelled as there are a lot of hours of development to implement such kind of use case.

First of all, thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately it doesn't solve my problem. I was hoping that someone would have struggled with this and found a genuine solution to the problem

we had the experience with similar (but not exactly your) problem and prepared the technical task according to request of one of our customer - for plugin creation. But we've not implemented it due to cancelation as there is too much hours of development

Perhaps a business case then... Can't be that hard to implement this if no other solution is around.

It's just a case of picking the right versions of some issue specified in a certain baseline but I guess the main problem is that JIRA issues aren't versioned(?) and therefore we can not differenciate between what ever an issue looked like at a certain point in time compared to some other point in time...

Hi @Ege Su İnan

Thanks for the suggested plugin. It is definatelly a step in the direction I want but it doesn't solve the problem with non-versioned JIRA issue. It will work for Confluence documents but if these documents have links to JIRA issues, in our case an issuetype "Requirement", then that requirement can change without the document being changed...

Hi Kent Granström,

Yes this plug-in works only Confluence, but its a step to start, thank you for your interest.

Kind Regards,

Kent Granström, have you found a solution to your problem after all? Could you solve it within JIRA or did you switch to a different tool? I need to do the same thing.

BRGDS/TOM.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

2,922 views 27 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you