How do i set a custom Status as Resolved

Sneha Sasikumar January 14, 2022

Hi All, 

I am trying to set certain custom status of my project to be categorized as Resolved. For example i have a project A for which i have a custom status Duplicate.

Now when i change the status of a ticket to Duplicate i would want it to be treated as Resolved and it shows up in the resolved charts and reports of JIRA dashboard i am trying to set up.

Help is appreciated

1 answer

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2022

Hi @Sneha Sasikumar ,

That's pretty simple. You just have to modify the workflow. In the transition to the status duplicate you have to add a post function where you set the field resolution to a value. As soon as this field is set, the issue will be treated as resolved. 

Thank you so much, i found another link after i posted this and followed the steps and it worked

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Setting-resolution-based-on-status/qaq-p/1827282#U1911828

I do have one question - I did all the post for my custom statuses to have resolution as done. But what i am seeing is this applied only for the tickets going forward or if i again select the status to be the one i wanted.

Is there a way to apply the resolution created for all past statuses for which resolution was set only today?

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2022

Hi, to apply that to all existing issues, you can do a bulk edit and transition them all at once again to that status. For this, go to the issue navigator and select all affected issues. Then choose Bulk edit from the Tools menu.

Maybe you have to create a temporary transition in the workflow to do so and remove it after the issues are fixed.

I understand the bulk update but wouldn’t it override the ordinal date the ticket was closed. 
for example I have issue 1234 marked passed on 12/20 and I set passed with resolution done just today 01/14.

now when I do bulk update or just update ticket 1234 and choose pass again would the resolved date change to 01/14??

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2022

I'm not sure about the resolved date, but the updated date will change definitely. 

But sadly that's the only way to achieve it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events