How do OnDemand users handle versioned documentation

gabrielxz August 4, 2013

We use Confluence for a customer-facing set of software documentation & user guides. We use a very similar system to how Atlassian documents its own software. We're considering making the jump to OnDemand Confluence, but since you can't install the copy-space plugin, I don't know how we'd survive.

Is anyone using OnDemand doing a version-based documentation system? If so, how? Is everyone use that command-line-interface tool? Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 5, 2013

Hello Gabriel,

Atlassian uses the copy-space plugin as our primary method. As you said, this plugin is not available in Atlassian OnDemand. The command line method would work (and is our fallback method), but as you have identified, is a bit tedious. You could write a script to make this work faster.

I guess you could also write a custom tool to do it for you using the API, but that is going to be non trivial.

Cheers,
Boris

1 vote
Lillia August 5, 2013

Hey Gabriel,

I have to laugh:) we are considering moving to the server based version ! We currently use OnDemand for customer facing doco and we used the CLI to copy spaces but yes that is a huuuge PITA and often doesn't work grrrr.

It's probbly my biggest gripe with OnDemand - i.e. how insanely convoluted it is to simply copy a space but anyhooo I didn't choose the system. I'd much rather have a CMS...

So yes we do use it for customer facing docs but it is a pain to copy a space to update the docs with each version release....not much help sorry but that's my story:)

LM

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events