Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set default permissions for different spaces?

Mike Hagesfeld February 22, 2017

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Space Permissions Overview

We have different groups using our Confluence, and don't want to swamp them with each other's spaces.  We create spaces fairly frequently, and as such I would like there to be a way to set up different spaces for the different groups, i.e. if the space is a "Dev Space" permissions are given to the Dev group, and if it's an IT space permissions are given to the IT group.

Is there any way to do this?

1 answer

0 votes
James Dellow
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2017

You can assign users to groups, then assign those groups to spaces to grant permissions. However, the group itself doesn't have any particular rights or permissions. You can assign a group to one space with a particular set of permissions, then use it in another space with different permissions.

However, by default your Confluence site is probably setup to assign access to the "confluence-users" group when you create a new space. That is a special system group containing all users - you either need to remove this from the space after you create it or edit the default permissions under Site administration > Space Permissions.

Out of the box its is a manual process to manage spaces with different permissions, but automation is possible.

Remember that by doing this, users that aren't explicitly given access to a space won't be able to see any activity or search for any of the content in it. Are you categorising spaces to help them filter them? See https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/use-labels-to-categorize-spaces-724764814.html

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events