How do I retreive Confluence content for a deleted Active Directory user?

Brett Death
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 7, 2011

Our Confluence instance is connected to MS Active Directory for user management. We have a user that has created content in the wiki, then their AD account has been deleted. Now their content has disappeared from view in the wiki.

Please help - we'd really like to not have all our users' content deleted/unavailable when they're deleted from AD.

Is there some way of stopping the content from disappearing (and to recover the content that already has)?

I see this is related to https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/12956/jira-full-ldap-integration-how-do-you-deal-with-retiring-users and https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/13946/what-happens-when-users-are-disabled-removed-from-active-directory . Still need an answer for my current problem though...

2 answers

0 votes
Lakshmi August 6, 2013

Hi, from my experience, deleted/inactivated user's personal data can be accessed. i tried couple of options. they worked.

either of them should work:

<confluence-url>/spaces/viewspace.action?key=~username

<confluence-url>/display/~username/home - if user does not change the default home page

from my observation, this url pattern will not work for inactivated users <confluence-url>/display/~username

Thanks,

Lakshmi

0 votes
Sander Brienen [Avisi]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2012

Hi Brett,

I don't think the content is really lost. Check in your database. Perform the following query to check if the content is still there:

SELECT * FROM content WHERE CREATOR = '<AD username>' OR USERNAME = '<AD username>';

This should show a list of content items for that specific user.

This way you should also be able to recover the content that seemed deleted. But I would not recommend editing the database by yourself. Call Atlassian Support to help you with that (support.atlassian.com).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events