How do I resolve this issue 'An internal error occured when trying to change your password'?

Srinivas Palur August 16, 2017

I've been trying to change my  Confluence password. After clicking on the reset password link that's sent to my email inbox, I enter the new password but I see the message 'An internal error occured when trying to change your password'. Please help resolving this.

3 answers

0 votes
Srinivas Palur August 18, 2017

Ok, I'm not sure what I can do next. Does this mean I can't use Confluence until this open ticket is resolved?

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 18, 2017

If this is happening in Confluence Cloud (URL ends with .atlassian.net) please open a support request at https://getsupport.atlassian.com to find out why the password reset won't work.

If the instance is hosted by your company, the error means the instance is set up so you have to change your password in an external user directory, usually JIRA, Crowd or LDAP. Your company's Confluence administrator should be able to help you get logged in.

The ticket I linked is just asking to make the error message more informative. Read only external directories will not let you change your password via Confluence, even after they fix the error message.

Like Kathrin Wendt likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2017

Read the log file - it is likely to tell you something about what is wrong.

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 18, 2017

@Srinivas PalurThe logs are on the file system:

<confluence_install>/logs/ (anything recent in this directory)
 <confluence_home>/logs/atlassian-confluence.log
Note: The <confluence_home> directory is the path defined in the following file: <confluence_install>/confluence/WEB-INF/classes/confluence-init.properties

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
August 16, 2017

The most likely case is that your account is managed by a read only user directory; Nic is correct that the log will verify this.

We have a suggestion ticket open to make the error message more informative:

When using a read only Crowd/JIRA Directory, users attempting to change their password get an unhelpful error message

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2017

This is one where we need to read the application logs to see what it's doing when you trigger the internal error message

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events