How do I remove someone as a space watcher

Greg Della-Croce March 12, 2013

I have a person who shows up on as a Space Watcher. It can not be managed through the Manager Watch tool. How do I remove someone from this watch?

9 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
ChangJoon Lee
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2013

Interesting,

Simply, you can't. (Surprised)

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Managing+Watchers

Should we ask user to stop watching the space?

ChangJoon Lee
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2013
Jonathan Hult January 17, 2018

CONFSERVER-22313 is now resolved as of 6.0

2 votes
Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2014

The way I see it, you have two different options (unfortunately both work only for Confluence Server):

1: Install the sudo plugin. Although it is listed as compatible only until 3.4.9, we are using it successfully on 5.4.4: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/archive/com.adaptavist.confluence.sudo

2: I wrote a user macro that allows you to remove multiple watches for yourself or another user, which includes adding/removing space watches. It requires the remote API to be enabled to remove page watches, but it works without it for space watches. You can find the user macro here: https://bitbucket.org/stephendeutsch/confluence-user-macros/srcunder "bulk remove watchers" and "remove watches for user.vm"

Hope this can be helpful!

Rick Marshall January 31, 2017

Stephen,  Thanks for the great macro - it's really helping to remove watches for off boarded users.  

We're running on 5.9.7 - however, we have Confluence Questions installed as well.  The data is showing as "Other Content"  and no method to select/remove.  

Any plans to include Questions?

Shannon Wright June 26, 2017

Stephen, I tried out your user macro for removing watchers from spaces.  I ran it and choose the user I wanted removed.  When I went back to that space, I still see the user listed, but when I run the macro again for that space, that user isn't listed from the macro anymore.

Does it take some time to remove the user from the actual space?

Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 26, 2017

Normally it removes the watch right away, but it is possible that there might be some sort of caching mechanism that causes the result to not show immediately.

Just out of curiosity, which version are you running?

Shannon Wright June 26, 2017

I ran this against version 5.6.4

I wasn't thinking of any caching, I'll check on that.

1 vote
Drew Bentley October 7, 2013

This is a major security vulnerablity. Administrators should have the abilty to remove space watchers. We have some spaces that are limited to users, if someone who has access adds themselves as a watcher but then are removed from said space/project space, they should no longer be a watcher of said space/project.

Also, when users are removed as a confluence user, Confluence should remove their watched pages and spaces, it should be fully capable of it's own tidying up of users who are no longer a valid user.

Keeping pages they create makes sense, as you don't want content or data deleted but watching a page is and should be considered personal settings, which should be removed when a user is disabled.

This is a bug!!!!

0 votes
AW February 1, 2017

Per this related JIRA KB article, I think you can detect & determine those usernames via this query.  I was able to reverse engineer it per @Matthew J. Horn comments above.  Note - we are on Confluence 5.5.3 so mileage may vary if this has been improved in future versions of Confluence.

-- Confluence Space watchers
SELECT n.*, m.*, s.SPACEID, s.SPACENAME, s.SPACEKEY
FROM [confluencedb].[dbo].[NOTIFICATIONS] n
INNER JOIN dbo.user_mapping m ON n.USERNAME = m.user_key
INNER JOIN dbo.SPACES s ON n.SPACEID = s.SPACEID
WHERE 1=1
-- global Space watchers
AND n.SPACEID IS NOT NULL
-- uncomment this line to show users who are no longer valid
AND m.username NOT IN (SELECT user_name FROM cwd_user)
0 votes
Phuong Nguyen August 31, 2016

@Stephen Deutsch - Thanks for your solution, I applied and this works very well with Confluence 5.9.x: can remove watchers on both of pages and spaces.

Excellent works... and you save my time,

0 votes
Ed Schriger August 6, 2015

This is still an issue. Using the "Manage Watchers" function described above, we can see there are two individuals "Watching this Space" (whom we cannot remove) WHO NO LONGER WORK FOR OUR COMPANY and WE HAVE DE-ACTIVATED THEIR JIRA ACCOUNTS.

There is simply no way to remove these "dead" watchers from this space.

Confluence on Demand.

Please don't give me some sort of code based solution.  The product needs to work correctly.

Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2015

Hi Ed, Good news. As of a few days ago, Confluence allows you to log in as another user: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/Cloud/2015/07/31/Upcoming+Atlassian+Cloud+Upgrade+for+week+starting+2+August+2015#UpcomingAtlassianCloudUpgradeforweekstarting2August2015-Usermanagementchanges Using this method, you can remove the space watches for the people who no longer work for your company. It's not as nice as being able to manage it directly from the page, but it is at least now possible :)

0 votes
Axel Gunnlaugsson July 27, 2014

@Stephen, unfortunately that does not work form me. I am running on-demand.

0 votes
Axel Gunnlaugsson July 27, 2014

Indeed This is a bug!!!!

I now have a group of space watchers that no longer should have access to a space and I can't do anything to stop that. This is really bad

0 votes
Matthew J. Horn
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 13, 2013

I'm just now looking into some issues we're having with notifications. There's a table in the Confluence database called NOTIFICATIONS that has entries with space IDs and usernames. I suspect these are "space watchers". Try checking your table and removing one of those lines (after backing up first!).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events