You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.
Level 1: Seed
25 / 150 points
1 badge earned
Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!
What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.
Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!
Join now to unlock these features and more
I created my Confluence space document. I've established my heading levels. I create a TOC with a bullet point list.
I see an extra bullet point with no text next to it. How do I remove the extra bullet point?
Super common - good thing that was it.
I *REALLY* wish they'd do a real text+formatting tags mode . . .
That and get a 1:1 between visual mode and save - a lot of the things I end up pasting short-circuit it and get translated when it didn't render when in visual mode (IMO it's not supposed to right)?
Found a better way to fix this. Once the page is in editor mode, on the top right there is source editor icon
In the source editor window, find the unnecessary heading tag which one of the element has and then remove it.
Save changes and voila!
To clarify, use the view storage format and look for empty heading tags. Then you can see where it is and either delete or format as a paragraph.
I cannot believe the extra bullet at the top of the TOC was due to the paragraph style set to Heading 1
Note, if you set Disc to None, as suggested by the original answer, it will remove all the bullets, which is not what I was after...
Mind your firefox
I just discovered today that between Firefox version 92 and 93, there were changes (for example, the input type 'datetime-local' was supported by most browsers in 2012 but Firefox was not implemented until 2021)
We are on ESR 92 for certain Linux distros (special setup) and I suspect a lot of the 'weirdness' I've had with Confluence may be resolved by accessing from either Chrome or another machine.
It just happens to be one of those strange disconnects. When I saw today's update to this thread, the lightbulb went on.
Old post - I know, but it's still pertinent.
What's happening is that it is rendering as if you've entered this:
-headingtag-TOC Your HeadingText -headingtag-
Steps to fix:
This does not work (but should, logically fix it):
It could be the version of FireFox I'm using, but I doubt it.