Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I organize confluence?

Ted Larson November 2, 2018

I run a small consultancy, with about 25 people.  We are looking at using Confluence instead of a Wiki for organizing project documentation.  Right now it is a big Google drive tree with all the documentation in it, organized by customer, and project underneath that, with Wiki links jumping off to the individual pieces of documentation.   So, this is the format we are most familiar with.  The problem I am having trouble wrapping my head around is that there does not appear to be such thing as a "Sub-space" in Confluence.  So, the desired idea of having each Space organized by department...i.e. HR, Engineering, IT, doesn't quite work, because if I create a Space called "Customers" and stick all projects under there as individual pages it will be a nightmare pretty quick.   If I create each customer as a separate Space, then I break the hierarchy idea of the company because then all my customer spaces get put up on the same level as HR, and other departments.

I just can't wrap my head around how we would actually organize Confluence in a way where it wouldn't be a huge, disorganized nightmare in about a week, and where we would be actually worse-off than we already are.   I did a TON of Google searching on this topic, and nobody seems to have an easy answer to it.  Honestly, this is the one thing that totally blocks me from signing my company up to use it.  I just can't visualize how it would be organized in a useful way that would work out to be easier to use than just a bunch of Google drive folders.  Anyone have any ideas on how it should be set up?  I don't know enough about Confluence, so maybe I am just being naive or missing something obvious.

2 answers

0 votes
test test October 7, 2019

QA

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2018

Have you tried space labels to categorize your spaces?

(It does not necessarily impose a hierarchy per se, it is more like tagging in Gmail or a blog engine.)

Robert Reiner _smartics_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2018

I also think that space categories are the Confluence way of organizing spaces.

I just would like to add a link to a maybe helpful discussion on space granularity.

Also: maybe there are third-party tools (e.g. Atlassian Marketplace query=subspace) that allow you to provide a hierarchy view on those flat spaces. I have no experience with these tools, I just remembered that tools exist that list on the Marketplace by that keyword ... :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events