How do I move multiple pages between spaces with Confluence?

All the options for moving pages within confluence only seem to allow moving one page at a time. I have a large, fairly unorganised space that I wish to break up into smaller spaces, but doing this one page at a time is out of the question.

I have also been using the webdav plugin, which works fine when moving multiple pages within a space, but when I use the webdav plugin to move multiple pages to another space, all the internal links to the moved pages break. In these cases, Confluence will display a 'page not found' landing page with a link to suggested pages within the site. While the desired link is usually on this landing page, for me this is not an acceptable level of UX.

So, I would like to know if there is a tool/method for simultaneiously moving multiple pages from one space to another without the internal links breaking. Many CMS packages do this with no problems.

Thanks

5 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

The best solution I can find to this is to use the webdav plugin to move multiple pages simultaneously under a single parent within the same space (by ctrl+clicking or shift+clicking to select multiple pages and drag them under a parent).

Then in confluence, move the parent page (Tools>move) to a different space. Then you can rearrange the pages in the new space with either the confluence page tree view (one at a time), or the webdav plugin (multiple at once).

It's not perfect but it's definitely quicker than moving single pages at a time.

Hi, will this break all internal links?

http://<yoursite>/pages/reorderpages.action?key=<spacekey>

This is the best URL I've seen all year - and I'm 3 years late!

Thanks @Scott Beeson!!

Confluence Command Line Interface movePage could help with moving pages to a parent, then Jobin's answer can work better. Unfortunately, Confluence remote APIs don't support moving to another space at this time :(.

If you have a parent page which has most of the other pages, you can move the parent page with its children. That is the only bulk option available I guess!

That is why I said "If you have a parent page which has most of the other pages" :) Looks like you don't have such a parent page!

Yes but that would mean moving all the pages one-by-one under the parent page, which is what I'm trying to avoid in the first place.

Not sure if this suits your needs... there's a third-party plugin for that: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.valiantys.confluence.plugin.copypartialspace

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted yesterday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

203 views 2 4
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you