How do I move multiple pages between spaces with Confluence?

Liam O'Neill October 8, 2012

All the options for moving pages within confluence only seem to allow moving one page at a time. I have a large, fairly unorganised space that I wish to break up into smaller spaces, but doing this one page at a time is out of the question.

I have also been using the webdav plugin, which works fine when moving multiple pages within a space, but when I use the webdav plugin to move multiple pages to another space, all the internal links to the moved pages break. In these cases, Confluence will display a 'page not found' landing page with a link to suggested pages within the site. While the desired link is usually on this landing page, for me this is not an acceptable level of UX.

So, I would like to know if there is a tool/method for simultaneiously moving multiple pages from one space to another without the internal links breaking. Many CMS packages do this with no problems.

Thanks

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Liam O'Neill October 14, 2012

The best solution I can find to this is to use the webdav plugin to move multiple pages simultaneously under a single parent within the same space (by ctrl+clicking or shift+clicking to select multiple pages and drag them under a parent).

Then in confluence, move the parent page (Tools>move) to a different space. Then you can rearrange the pages in the new space with either the confluence page tree view (one at a time), or the webdav plugin (multiple at once).

It's not perfect but it's definitely quicker than moving single pages at a time.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2014

Hi, will this break all internal links?

Phill Apley October 3, 2018

Note that WebDAV no longer is supported in Confluence Cloud. Extremely annoying.

David Castell November 12, 2019

We are using SSO. I don't believe WebDav supports single sign on authentication. So, is there another way to quickly move a number of pages around within a Confluence space, without using WebDav?

7 votes
Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2015

http://<yoursite>/pages/reorderpages.action?key=<spacekey>

Dries Grobler Jr January 23, 2018

This is the best URL I've seen all year - and I'm 3 years late!

Thanks @Scott Beeson!!

Georgi Kolev November 16, 2018

It says you have found a dead link :(

Maybe I am not typing it correctly, what do you put in <spacekey>?

Ivan Romero December 9, 2018

It worked for me using https://<yoursite>/wiki/pages/reorderpages.action?key=<spacekey>

Bianca Marie Lien July 2, 2019

I only just saw this article and am really late for this, but @Georgi Kolev you need to put your space key in that part.

E.G.

A "Help Desk Knowledge Base" space key might be something like "HELPKB" or "HDKB"

If you navigate to your space, you'll see it in the URL bar anyway.

Or to find/change it, you can navigate to your Space Settings and find "Key" under the Space Details tab.

Hope that helped if you didn't figure it out by now :)

Sigurd Saue August 6, 2019

Nice solution for reordering within a space, but how do you move pages from one space to another?

Like # people like this
Nenad Ikonomovski May 12, 2020

@Scott Beeson Thank you!

2 votes
Ted Steinmann February 4, 2020

Here's a couple time saving steps that appear to work:

1. Create a new folder for all the pages you intend to move
  2. Go to -> Space Tools -> Re-order pages, and move all pages you want to move to that folder
  3. Move that folder to the new space
  4. Move out of that folder ... if you want to
sherry.barce June 25, 2020

Thanks Ted. My pages are already on a folder and I tried to move that single folder to a new space, and all the pages were moved as well. Cool, I did not have to do of moving a single page one at a time. 

Like Bianca Marie Lien likes this
1 vote
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 8, 2012

Confluence Command Line Interface movePage could help with moving pages to a parent, then Jobin's answer can work better. Unfortunately, Confluence remote APIs don't support moving to another space at this time :(.

0 votes
Amalia
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2012

Not sure if this suits your needs... there's a third-party plugin for that: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.valiantys.confluence.plugin.copypartialspace

Phill Apley October 3, 2018

The link above no longer works.

Like Georgi Kolev likes this
0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 8, 2012

If you have a parent page which has most of the other pages, you can move the parent page with its children. That is the only bulk option available I guess!

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 8, 2012

That is why I said "If you have a parent page which has most of the other pages" :) Looks like you don't have such a parent page!

Liam O'Neill October 8, 2012

Yes but that would mean moving all the pages one-by-one under the parent page, which is what I'm trying to avoid in the first place.

Like Johannes Schneider likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events