Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I merge two different Confluence page's histories?

Ronald Horner January 16, 2012

I have two different pages on Confluence. I want to be able to merge the two pages together and preserve the history of both in the merged outcome. What is the process can I follow to accomplish this task?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2012

I suspect that's a logical impossibility because there's no way to distinguish which changes belonged to which page before the merge.

I think you could do a manual thing - change each line of change so that it has a date/time/user/page reference on it and force that into the database, but it still won't be in Confluence history and you won't be able to revert.

I'd actually solve this by choosing the page you want to go ahead with, merging the other page into it by copy/paste/tidy, then making the other page read-only with a restriction, and then probably move it somewhere safe. Add a reference back to it into the ongoing page, so people can see the pre-merge history if they want.

Ronald Horner January 17, 2012

That's a good point. Perhaps what would work is if there is a way to keep working off of a draft before making it the current published version. We would like to work and make as many changes as possible to a document but not publish it externally until we've completed it and then start working on the draft again until we have the next approved publishable version.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2012

Mmm, wiki's don't really have "draft" - the pages are living and expected to be updated. But yes, restricting the page from the outside world while you do the merge is a good idea if it's complex.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events